Neiman Marcus

www.neimanmarcus.com
  www.neimanmarcus.com
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

Sell your heart out - or get out. Also note, I never intended for long term employment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful department manager that was extremely dedicated and professional, amazing chocolate chip cookies at The Zodiac, a personal pro was that I had no intention of long term employment plans with NM, and an employee discount (only used on cosmetics) never hurts. Also occasional contests/giveaways/raffles with pretty great prizes!

Cons

Depending on department managements, fellow coworkers, competitiveness, and personal approach to conflict, could get dicey and catty arguing over customers. Fortunately for me, I got a job at NM because I was bored on my sabbatical and as I wasn't trying to make a living off of NM compensation, it was easier to walk away from arguments over customers and just let it go to keep the peace. Like most retail, opportunity to advance into leadership role is based on more on sales #s and years with company, as opposed to management skills.

Consider revising compensation structure, downturn in luxury retail sales makes it especially difficult to earn a living, higher turnover, associates itching to get out and find a consistent paycheck.

389 Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus (View Most Recent)

Huge Structure Flaws

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Pay is higher then most other retail customer service jobs
    - Majority of the employees are great to work with
    - Sometimes the company would give free food.
    - Starbucks and Jamba Juice gift cards (only like $5)
    - The Discount (specially when there are times with additional percentage)

Cons

- Management even HR plays favoritism (Even though HR is suppose to be neutral)
    - Communication is just lacking in all aspects (through-out the company)
    - Customer's could get just plain nasty at times (it's retail)
    - No work life balance (if your looking for one, this is not the job for you)
    - You can never be honest with management cause they take it personal and it gets brought up in manager meetings (trust me, they will talk about you)
    - Customer Service is a hard department to move up from due to you have to have a "sales background" (No room to grow)
    - They do train you, but it's the bare minimum.
    - If you are a Sales Associate and you don't sale cause some positions are commission based, they will get rid of you. No Joke!

(PA St #24) My advice for management is to stop playing favoritism! It's so totally visible, it's sicking. Reward people for their hard work and stop making it so difficult for people who sweat and bleed for the company. Not just $15 for becoming a Service Star! Work on creating better communication between Management and the employees that you are suppose to be looking out for. Supporting one another is key. Have the employee's backs when customer issues arise.Stop taking everything back from these customers cause these customers do not care about the employees commission and how it's taking away from their checks (returning merchandise more then a year ago or more) . Come up with a return policy!

Good place to shop, very bad place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

If you can sell a lot and fine with working just on comissions - it's a good place for you

Cons

Return policy of the store, takes a big bite of your comission based only paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus