There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

TWE Toxic Work Environment

Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Short Hills, NJ
Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Short Hills, NJ

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Interesting co workers. Every other aspect was a con.

Cons

gracious return policy, customer's returned 40% on average in my department. I average person can not be compensated accordingly. they would garnish wages if you did not sell the draw in 2weeks. Upper Management had an agenda- wanted to skim corners with staff. the place was chaotic.

The HR department is not an advocate for their employees. After I left they fired five of 9 department managers in 6 months. Replacing them with inexperienced selling managers making half the salary.

370 Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus (View Most Recent)

ok for now

Current Employee - Stylist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Stylist in Washington, DC

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

good discount on many items in store

Cons

very poor management on store level

more training for managers

Sell your heart out - or get out. Also note, I never intended for long term employment.

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful department manager that was extremely dedicated and professional, amazing chocolate chip cookies at The Zodiac, a personal pro was that I had no intention of long term employment plans with NM, and an employee discount (only used on cosmetics) never hurts. Also occasional contests/giveaways/raffles with pretty great prizes!

Cons

Depending on department managements, fellow coworkers, competitiveness, and personal approach to conflict, could get dicey and catty arguing over customers. Fortunately for me, I got a job at NM because I was bored on my sabbatical and as I wasn't trying to make a living off of NM compensation, it was easier to walk away from arguments over customers and just let it go to keep the peace. Like most retail, opportunity to advance into leadership role is based on more on sales #s and years with company, as opposed to management skills.

Consider revising compensation structure, downturn in luxury retail sales makes it especially difficult to earn a living, higher turnover, associates itching to get out and find a consistent paycheck.

There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus