There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

Excellent environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL
Current Employee - Sales Associate in Northbrook, IL

I have been working at Neiman Marcus full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers and very professional arena, enjoy customer interaction and clientele. Look forward to expanding my horizons.

Cons

Learn at my own speed, like more availability to information sources with direction. More structured training not just what has to protect employer.

Training

370 Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus (View Most Recent)

Excellent company, benefits, salary, customers, & hours

Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Frontenac, MO
    Former Employee - Selling Specialist in Frontenac, MO

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can be as successful as you put your mind to and make a good living

Cons

Beware of long-term associates that have become "Neiman-nized", which is snooty, vindictive, & full of greed

There's more than just the bottom dollar! Focus on creating an overall enforcement of integrity expected by all with NO exceptions to the rule. I was terminated after several attempts by 2 human resource persons who became highly intrigued to obtain information about me personally; i.e a man that I was dating. He was very successful, affluent, & very soon began to enhance my lifestyle. These women became very jealous because I now wore nice David Yurman, Chanel, & more. I was happier in my job there, performed beyond my goals as I'd always had, but now even more. No matter what, I was a target as my peers would check my register behind a big sale i'd rung up, cancel it out, & re-ring it under there #. Reporting it to management never resolved anything, because they felt that I didn't need the money anyway, yet continued to set outrageous goals for me. Ultimately, my now fiancé had purchased a gift card for me for Christmas to shop at Neiman's, & when he purchased he, they just rang it under his name. I waited for 30/30, and began to shop for my cosmetics, and also bought him a jacket for my gift to him. Within days I was escorted to LP, awaiting was the 2 HR girls with huge smiles, as they told me that they had to let me go for theft! I asked what theft & they said they did not have to legally explain the details. I retained an attorney, & also during filing for unemployment they'd mentioned on the recorded call, that they have video of my "theft". Unemployment gave them a timeframe to submit it, but what they got instead was a completely different reason for my termination, which was now "discount abuse"! They ultimately lost the case against unemployment, and the other segment I can not discuss legally, but I was NOT on the losing end. As a highly reputable company, I felt that corporate should have released these women from their position to maintain the integrity of the company & careful of who they allow to represent their brand. To date, the two are still there and have continued their charades with others who have been forced to leave & landed down the hall at Saks. I had since attempted to get onboard at Saks or Nordstrom & in a chance encounter, I'd become acquainted with the GM at a Nordstrom here. In confidence, she told me that the 2 HR girls at Neimans had told her during a reference call that I walked out of Neimans with $100k of stolen goods, I am a notorious lawsuit queen, they have a special video for training showing me stealing (which I have NEVER stolen an item in my entire life), & that I had an affair with one of their husbands(which I don't know either of their spouses) . Though they have set out to destroy my reputation, I have a strong faith & KNOW that their Karma is upon them.

absolutely awful, misery inducing atmosphere

Former Employee - Designated Selling Associate in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Designated Selling Associate in Natick, MA

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (more than an year)

Pros

ONLY PRO IS THE DISCOUNT

Cons

oh where do i even begin-I would never EVER let anyone I know work or shop here now after knowing the company

lets start at the beginning- was not fully provided with information regarding the pay structure,you dont even want to know the pay/commission structure- absolutely disgusting coming from a billion dollar company which i guess is the reason why our unprofessional, untrained HR department fails to include some important pieces of information. Truly spent more money in the store (because of extra employee discounts that lure you in), than i even made in my 2 years with them.

also regarding health insurance.....a $2,000 deductible for a single healthy young woman is absolutely ridiculous especially on top of the $6,000 i paid in total for 2013 to even have health insurance. The corporation does not give a crap about the sales associates despite us doing the most work and truly being the bread and butter of the company.

98% of coworkers are absolutely evil, greedy, terrible human beings that thrive on creating drama- any of the respectful, hard working, exceptionally skilled fellow coworkers i have had, were all fired for silly ridiculous reasons that i would not even consider legitimate reasons for termination.Basically, If you are making great sales numbers then your bad behaviors will be completely overlooked.

The hours suck and you will have absolutely no social life due to working all weekends,holidays etc. And forget about taking a sick day- no sick pay!!!! Thus everyone comes in sick and passes everything around the store, And even if you have to call in sick, you will be shamed and looked down upon.

Could go on for days about the cons......

Dont always act like you are better than associates when the sales associates are truly making ALL of your money for you- be more appreciative and respectful and that is including the corporate aspect as well, i.e. benefits

Most of the managers are not highly educated and dont have many skills but they rule like they are Nazi's or that we are all in preschool- we are all adults and it is completely disgusting to talk down upon us and scold us like children.

managers SHOULD NEVER become involved in the gossip within the store- it is awful enough that it completely takes over sales associates but managers should be more responsible than that- after getting to know the true characters of people (after the initial fake phase), it was absolutely disgusting to see managers involving themselves in gossip and drama and have no shame in getting innocent people fired- led to a complete lack of respect for managers. and the General Manager of my location was the worst one of them all!!!

The HR department in my store would treat issues as though we are in elementary school- it became very laughable and obviously not conducive to conflict resolution.

There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus