There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

NJ BEST WORK EXPERIENCE. Some people with bad reviews should reflect and see if they may be the issue.

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Great discount, great co-workers, 80% great customers (the few bad ones don't ruin the many nice ones), flexible schedule, depending on your manager you can have great flexibility with scheduling

Cons

Pay, health insurance, inconsistent HR (some associates get away with many things others cannot ), lack of training, keeping store open during inclement weather, management needs to be on the same page

Advice to Management

I hope management/corporate is looking at Glassdoor reviews. It's sad to see some associates have awful experiences, but Neiman Marcus is pretty good to me. Neimans, use this as a learning tool to keep employees happy.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Negative- it is a corporate trap. Executives are solely focused on gross profit and resale of company.

Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Couture Sales in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Immediate co-workers can be pleasant. Client relationship was the most rewarding and enjoyable.

Cons

Management- They need to train managers to understand the structure & reality of high profile sales and customers/clients. HR department in my store was very disorganized- could offer no insight, time line, advise to long term goals within the company and my personal growth. I joined "in-store" as I believe it is extremely important for corporate employees to have first-hand experience in the business they are in- however, I had plans to move forward into corporate and was promised that those opportunities would open to me after my first dedicated year of work in-store. I waited, and the opportunities were closed off to me due to my positive performance on the sales floor- i.e. they didn't want to lose the business that I was bringing in. My advice to anyone, is if you want to work in-store with the hopes of moving into corporate positions, be prepared to dedicate 2-3 years of in-store work- you will have to fight for yourself, no one, at least in my experience, will go up to bat for you. Everyone, so it seemed, in management were also in pursuit of the same corporate positions that you may seek- this company has an "every-man for himself" standard in my opinion.

Advice to Management

I believe that Neiman Marcus would grow internally if they hired more managers who are NOT pursuing corporate "big-jobs." Nearly the entire management team in my store were a part of the "Executive Development Program" (EDP- internal program that consists of assistant-ships to buyers followed by in-store management-- their ultimate goals are to get into the buying or merchandising departments within corporate) which, while I see is very helpful to the individuals IN the program, it becomes very difficult to find true talent for management IN-store as NONE of them are actually interested in being in-store. They are continually looking for ways for to highlight themselves, rather than reward and help their departments. I think Neiman Marcus should focus on getting back to some it's "exclusive-roots"- they need to focus on hiring GREAT people, rather than MANY people.

HR Mgr

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Irving, TX
    Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Irving, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Discount, location, they want to get anybody in to fill positions - prcess took 1 week

Cons

Engagement, lack of work life balance

Advice to Management

be open to new innovative and creative ideas