Neiman Marcus

www.neimanmarcus.com
  www.neimanmarcus.com
There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus

One of the better places to work in retail to earn the best bucks as sales

Current Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY
Current Employee - Sales Associate in White Plains, NY

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

Great chance to be at the cutting edge of today's fashion, sell big ticket items, earn good commission, plus perks and benefits including associate coffee in the morning, luncheons, Ben & Jerry's ice cream and birthday cakes monthly, very nice and usually mature co-workers.

Cons

At times, a strong competitive commission driven environment. Associates ages may average much higher, but maturity levels can be that of high school students or worse at times (individually, not as a whole), management will ignore inter-associate interactions and issues at times, requires a career mindset and time to build up clientele and to advance within company.

Listen to associates' concerns, suggestions, and complaints more closely. Intervene when associates clash with workplace issues, usually concerning sales and sales floor ethics. ACCEPT VISA, MASTERCARD, AND DEBIT CARDS!!!

I have not been with the company long, just a few months. After some observation, my immediate suggestions include, but are not necessarily limited to:

Bring back the standard of luxury Neiman Marcus was once known for (merchandise, programs, reputation, etc), hire more approachable and younger personel, compete effectively with stores like Nordstrom and Saks Fifth Avenue. Create better incentives with the InCircle program, customers always ask how much percentage they recieve off their purchase when opening a card, and are not interested with the low payouts for the gift card rewards program. Shorten the time that commission based associates are liable for returns, and when exceptions are made, do not penalize associates, as their time and effort is essentially lost. Take the return on the house.

Coach and train department managers more extensively on leadership - my own experience includes my manager not making an effort to intervene in associate situations that include particular associates hogging sales, not cleaning up after their customers and blaming others, and generally not taking responsibility for actions and not being accountable.

This next issue does not directly affect me yet, but I have had discussions with other associates in my department where they are unhappy with the new vacation time accrual policy, where there is a limit, and further hours accrued are lost. Associates feel that they have earned those hours and they should not be lost, but instead either paid out or given in terms of comp/personal days.

Another issue is with the Option 7 procedure. Certain associates avoid answering the phones as they "may lose out on a sale" as there is no incentive in helping complete an option 7 for a "foreign" associate. If there was even a small commission to be made on all Option 7s, everyone would be jumping for the phones and I believe we would have much better customer service and associate relationships/interation company wide.

On a personal note, I was not pleased that I was not eligible to recieve holiday pay for Christmas and New Year's Day, in that I had not completed 90 days of employment. Other companies I have worked for paid holiday time without an employment time period limit.

However, despite all, I find that Neiman Marcus is a great company to work for thus far, and pleased most with the people who work in this company - the great majority are kind, genuine, caring, and honest, all qualities that are greatly desired everywhere but are increasingly difficult to find in this day in age in such a large population of employees. The benefits of working for Neiman Marcus exceed those of many other companies and I am very proud to say that I work for this company and can honestly say that I am happy.

389 Other Employee Reviews for Neiman Marcus (View Most Recent)

my personal experience has been positive.

Current Employee - Product Specialist in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Product Specialist in Denver, CO

I have been working at Neiman Marcus

Pros

good pay, good hours, great employee discounts.

Cons

Very old computer system makes it hard to compete with other retailers to give good customer service. Benefits package, especially health benefits are poor. Need to accept all major credit cards.

Listen to employees. Provide more positive feedback and recognition when a job is well done. Provide incentive to employees as well as support personnel when the store and departments are doing well.

Cold, calculated on old system of recognition

Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Care Associate in Dallas, TX

I worked at Neiman Marcus

Pros

discounts are great but paying for them is not equal to how customers can pay.. cash only or neiman cc... now how STUPID is that

Cons

no promotion opportunitites, very "pigeon" hole for employees... Like other have said a cass system

come do our jobs... You can't.

There are newer employer reviews for Neiman Marcus