Nelnet

www.nelnet.com

Okay job, but you can do better

Pros

Camaraderie amongst employees
Learn about federal student loans
Great ETO

Cons

Micro-managed
High stress environment
Lack of upward mobility
Lack of benefits

Stop managing everything to the lowest common demoninator. Get rid of the good old boys network and start promoting the people who actually get the work done, not just the ones who are 'in'.

Other reviews for Nelnet

Friendly coworkers and management, the work can get repetitive but if you push yourself every day you're rewarded.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Open door policy with management, monthly feed back is given and there is upward mobility if you are motivated. As an employee you are encouraged to provide feed back to your immediate supervisor and can take it up the chain if your concerns aren't addressed.

Cons

The work can get tedious and repetitive, and the monthly push to meet performance metrics and still meet the commission requirements can become stressful.

try to hold out for a better job

Former Employee - DM Collector  in  Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - DM Collector in Lincoln, NE

Pros

Camaraderie among entry level collectors/customer service reps
    Gain much knowledge about federal student loans
    The ability to reach out and help someone understand and manage their loans

Cons

Micro-managed
    High stress environment
    Lack of upward mobility
    CEOs not in touch with employees on the front lines.

As a new-hire, my training class was pushed out a full week early, which made going on the phones that more stress-inducing. We are told to ignore what the customer is saying and demand payment as least four times, and that assistance such as deferments and forbearance are given at the discretion of agent. People are generally rude and/or confused about their benefits- very little is done to educate them early on about what their student loan actually entails. I worked both in default management and enrollment processing, and there needs to be some cross-training as ep and dm are often confused about why the other does what it does. The extreme intervention team that attempts to save severely delinquent loans only concerns themselves with loans that come from the department of education, because of the juicy govt contract.

Your personal background in regards to education doesn't make much of a difference. I was assigned under a supervisor that was hired 1 month after I was, and he had no experience with loans, and would want his team to rake in all the money but hadn't actually gone on the phones himself. Nice guy, but sitting with someone for an hour or two listening to phone calls doesn't make you an expert.

Also if hired for DM, you have a specific amount of payments and resolves and if you don't make those, you can get your ass in a trap fast. Often times, we were expected to dial out manually and this made resolving or asking for payment very difficult. We were also expected to catch overflow from the customer service reps, who deal with anything not delinquent up to 30 days past due. Even if you take a payment and/or resolve one of these accounts it is not factored into your commission or payment to resolve ratio.As there are many people dialing out to delinquent borrowers the managers and sups are happy when the a.s.a is three minutes or under.

tl:dr

For the whole time I worked there, I pretty much went to bed hoping I wouldn't wake up the next morning.

Find a way to make a miserable job better. Taking away the ability to read, knit, draw, or find something else to do besides contemplating strangling yourself with your headset's cord was a real disservice. The only good thing about the all company meeting is the fact that we got out of taking calls for awhile.

There are newer employer reviews for Nelnet.

Worked for Nelnet? Contribute to the Community!