Great people, bad pay

I have been working at Neogen

Pros

Nice people and location isnt terrible

Cons

bad pay, not much room for advancement

Advice to Management

not much

reviews filtered by

If pay isn't important to you, this is a GREAT place.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Neogen full-time

Pros

Friendly management, fun environment, and just a lot of feel good vibes from a company that's doing "good" work. Solid training and a visible promote-from-within policy. Reasonably-priced health coverage, good 401k and stock purchase plan, and generous time off allowances.

Cons

Staffing often feels inadequate. The low wage makes it impossible to really utilize the benefits. Seriously, I have to explain to people all of the other positives of working here so they don't think I'm insane when I tell them I'm making $2/hour less than market. Few coworkers I know can afford to contribute to their own 401k and none can afford to take advantage of the stock purchase plan (which is a tremendous perk if you have the money to spend).

Advice to Management

Every year we're told we're awesome, that we've had huge income growth, and that our products are just selling themselves. So can you maybe look at increasing the wage scale? Sales people get great commissions and perks. It would be nice if the remaining rank and file did as well.

Lab Tech II

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lincoln, NE

I have been working at Neogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, somewhat relaxed environment, staff is friendly and easy to get along with. Brand new facilities that are constantly being added on to.

Cons

The wage is embarrassingly low. Management plays favorites instead of hiring the most qualified. Not a great work/life balance, not many vacation days. No clear career path.

Advice to Management

As other have already said, pay your workers more, especially those you are taking the time to train in a highly specialized skill. The amount of money it takes to train a person on some of these test is more than what a tech makes in a year. Provide incentives to stay and make it possible to move up.