NerdWallet

www.nerdwallet.com

NerdWallet is generally a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Great benefits, open-minded, own projects, be your own boss at times

Cons

Competitive work environment, long work hours, you have to be on the right teams

Be more communicative top-down

Other reviews for NerdWallet

Great collaborative environment; rapidly growing company with lots of opportunities for growth

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

NerdWallet really is a great place to work. The culture is very open and collaborative, and there's a lot of space for professional development and taking on more responsibility. You matter from day one. I remember being amazed that I was being asked for my opinion and expertise on my first day. There's also a lot of openness to experimentation, whether that's with new software or ideas for completely new projects. It is truly a place that is what you make of it. And personally for me, a huge positive is that the company has a great social mission of helping consumers.

The employees are a great bunch. Everyone is different and the range of personalities will only expand as the company gets bigger, but what everyone has in common is ambition and a collaborative nature. Middle-level managers and upper management are also great with feeling your pulse on how stressed you are, how content you are, and what you'd like professionally. I'm comfortable telling my manager exactly what I'm thinking, even if we're in disagreement. This is unlike anything I've experienced before, and the company will actually take employee feedback and act on it.

The perks are amazing too, from catered lunches to bootcamp classes to weekly happy hours. On the directly financial side, there's also free health insurance, a 401k matching program, and commuter benefits.

Cons

Like many jobs, sometimes the workload can be a bit much. Most of this is due to a lack of manpower, so a recruiter definitely needs to be found to help speed along the hiring process.

The company is also expanding incredibly rapidly so there are various speedbumps along the way, including the firings that others have referenced (it happened once, not multiple rounds). Management is also relatively young so they have things to learn as well to help smoothly scale the company and to make sure all employees are happy professionally. But there have definitely been changes and lots of efforts to address these issues.

Keep on getting coaching, preferably from experts of various lines of thought. Do more anonymous surveys of the company. Some employees are less sure about saying things, so anonymity will be a way their concerns can be heard and addressed.

Great experience contributing to a rapidly growing company

Pros

You get to work with fun, friendly, and highly motivated people everyday. It's also easy to see how your work is contributing to the company mission, which is easy to get behind as it involves helping other people save money and learn about personal finance. NerdWallet is growing fast so it's exciting to be a part of the continuing success.

The office environment is fun and relaxed while still encouraging all employees to challenge themselves to do the best work possible in their positions.

Cons

As a rapidly growing company, there are obviously going to be some hiccups and growing pains, but managers don't ignore these problems, and are taking actions to improve.

There are newer employer reviews for NerdWallet.

Worked for NerdWallet? Contribute to the Community!