Gotta Love Purina

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Purina trusts its employees to take business risks within reason, is flexible when people need time off for personal activities, such as kids' schedules or events and the CEO is a down-to-earth guy who makes you feel like he's one of your fellow team members. He is an awesome leader

Cons

Not all managers are consistent or transparent on why some people get promoted and others don't, even when you ask. People need that to improve.

Advice to Management

Teach managers to be more open and talk to their people about the tough subjects.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Unlimited Global Opportunities with strong roots in St. Louis

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Purina has an amazing collection of highly talented associates who are all passionate about making products to enhance the lives of pets. You can see the pride in our associates and the passion they bring to work every day. Our products have made us a market leader - but our people make our company great. It is common to work with people that have spent decades working for this organization and they bring tremendous insights to every challenge. We are aligned and committed to improving the health and the lives of pets and the people who love them.

Cons

Long tenure of many employees can create challenges for employees that want to rapidly move up the organization. This is a culture where experience counts a lot and sometimes hinders our ability to change to meet emerging market needs. Our parent company (Nestle) is a very traditional and disciplined company. Heirarchies and structure need to be understood and respected.

Advice to Management

Keep an eye on the culture while managing through tremendous change. You have done an excellent job of preserving the parts of our heritage that make NPPC a great place to work. There are quite a few strong future leaders in the organization who could really contribute to shaping the future of petcare.

2. The Good the Bad and the Ugly, not all puppies and kittens are cute

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

They have a fantastic benefits program (hello pension! and bonuses are generally paid out in full) and there are always opportunities to learn new facets of the business. There are plenty of career resource programs and training opportunities. Management is very flexible with work schedules and there is a good work life balance. The people are fantastic. They truly love what they do and are extremely passionate about their product. There are always a few bad apples, but in general it is a great place to work with regards to general corporate atmosphere.

Cons

Management can be absent, which may be a good or bad thing depending on your opinion (maybe saw my direct supervisor once a month and that was when passing in the lobby). I personally do not care for the matrix reporting structure that was in place for this position it is difficult to please several entities at once that have no idea of how they are interrelated. There seems to be preferential treatment for tenured employees and no real evaluation of performance, even when directly translated into cost savings. Employees will be promoted based upon who has been there the longest not on merit or achievement. Additional education (MBA/Master's degrees) serve no purpose or distinguishing factor on the business operations side, again tenure will probably be the deciding factor.

Advice to Management

Take the time to get to know your employees and what they actually do, even if it has nothing to do with your responsibilities, they report to you for some reason. Be supportive of the little people, because oddly enough they are the ones that make the organization function smoothly. Take a more serious look at performance evaluations and individual employee contributions. This probably comes from knowing your employees and what they do and since that is absent it makes it hard to evaluate.