Nestlé USA
www.nestleusa.com Glendale, CA 5000+ Employees

There are two faces to Nestle, be sure you know which one you're working for

Business Analyst (Former Employee)
Glendale, CA

ProsStrong brand and recognizability, well developed systems and procedures, strong training and employee development opportunities, generous charitable giving practices, substantial giveaways and contests for employees, strong workplace wellness program for employees

ConsNestle's Community Affairs department puts a good face on the company, making it seem like a great place to work with great intentions. It's a very different story when you're actually working there. Politics reign supreme and it's the epitome of the Old Boy's Network. You can be management as long as you are White or--if non-White--act as White as you possibly can. Diversity is a joke. The result is the lack of true innovation and true understanding of what makes diverse consumers tick.

One of the underlying problems is that many of the managers are focused on climbing the ladder but not on personal development. There was definitely a culture of passing off blame to others, toeing the line and never challenging problems or bad business decisions, and never being the one to stick your neck out for a good risk. Managers are so focused on trying be around long enough to retire at Nestle that they don't forward the business. The result is that politics becomes the primary barrier to innovating the business. Innovation is challenged if not downright killed, and groupthink and "yes men" are the standard.

There are plenty of materials about appreciating the employee and developing managers to be coaches, but it's all lip service. I only found a small handful of people that I could actually respect or admire for the way they conducted themselves and their intentions. The bulk of managers whom I worked with didn't actually live the values of integrity, service, or altruism. Think about how it's reflected in their compensation practices: employees are paid less than market value and pretty much every employee who leaves for another employer gets an average of 7 to 10% raise even when making a lateral move. By the way, it's insulting to have a manager "coach" you or "correct" you in a meeting (with the wrong information!) on something where you're the subject matter expert.

It's a company characterized by nepotism, self-serving managers, and insular thinking. But don't worry, everyone there is "nice." The niceness is so that no one gets offended--because in the end, you can't say what you really think.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on changing the corporate culture to be one of accountability and liberty to express ideas, but do this through example, not just structured programs. Paul Grimwood actually has the right idea about shaking up "standard Nestle practices." Follow his lead but also caution him to remember that employees are smart, fully-functioning people, not drones or mindless sheep.

I've had a great experience at Nestle !

Maintenance Manager (Current Employee)
    Chicago, IL

I have been working at Nestlé USA full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: I was treated great. The people I work with really made the experience ! I was given a… Cons: I wish they had better health care. I was expecting something better from such an Industry… Advice to Senior Management: Stop swamping your people with process and paperwork, and get organized in the IT… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend – I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company… More

Great Pay and Atmosphere for Full Time

Warehouse (Former Employee)

I worked at Nestlé USA part-time for more than a year

Pros: High level of autonomy, most management is knowledgeable, very… Cons: Middle management gets slammed from upper, and has way too much on… Advice to Senior Management: When your drivers ask for relief, please listen to them.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Nestlé USA.

Worked for Nestlé USA? Contribute to the Community!

Nestlé USA – Why Work for Us?

Nestlé is… ...the world's leading Nutrition, Health and Wellness company. Our mission of "Good Food, Good Life" is to provide consumers with the best tasting, most nutritious choices in a wide range of food and beverage… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nestlé USA reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nestlé USA CEO Paul Grimwood. All reviews posted anonymously by Nestlé USA employees.