There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

It is too good to be true, but it is....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp is a company that provides me with challenges and encourages my "entrepreneurial spirit." I am empowered. My opinions and ideas are important and valued. We work hard, but we get to work with wonderful and talented people who respect and value one another, nothing is taken for granted. This is a company where you know you can make a difference and will. The senior leaders are committed to sharing information promptly and candidly. There is "real" commitment to the employees and ensuring that NetApp is a great place to work.

Cons

NetApp is a fast growing company. If you need a lot of direction or set processes and procedures to do your job well, this is not the company for you. It is a very fast paced (hectic) environment with little structure at the moment.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great job. Thank you for your honest and candid communication.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. A great employer with great technology to sell

Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

good management in most cases. social mingling and exchange of ideas among different departments. smart people. great benefits package, great cafes for lunch, flexible schedules. ability to be creative in how programs are built and executed, ability to take the initiative and bring a program to the next level. pride in garnering industry recognition. having a unique, useful product/solution to pit against established industry leaders. accessibility to management, excellent internal communications worldwide, instant notification from management on critical or competitive situations. team work and spirit, colleagues who go the extra mile in most cases. respect for maintaining a work/life balance, e.g., with employees with families, children and interests outside of work. information all-hands meetings on a regular basis to keep all employees aligned on corporate goals and marching in one direction. growing site at corporate location, i.e., new buildings and parking structures to accommodate head count. great espresso machines in each building! Reasonable budgeting and resources, while not ever enough, are bearable and don't give cause to 12-hour days most of the year. good intranet site that's packed with resources and even easier to navigate today.

Cons

Not always being recognized for a job well done. A fast growing team sometimes built from ties and employee relations at previous companies, not necessarily always with consideration as to whether a job candidate has qualified or optimal professional backgrounds for a role. Corporate politics, as with any corporation. Bureaucracy, which NetApp is building up in order to analyze operations and streamline efficiencies, and will likely get somewhat thicker before it dies down. The flattening of the employee hierarchy, giving rise to numerous levels of even middle management. Enthusiastic team members, who sometimes expect others to be logged on to email as late as they are. dubious search engine on intranet site. too many contractors who come and go, in some cases.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work in restructuring management and growing the company. Your decisions recently made to grow the company to the next level make a lot of sense, especially the branding initiative, and the internal communications deliver your messages, intent, and methods clearly. You do a good job in conveying our differentiation from the other major players in the market, and that keeps my pride up in working for the company. Despite the departure of some of the top management figures in the recent year, I have every confidence that new blood as well as the current corporate direction will take us all the further in the long term.

2. Great company, going through growing pains

Former Employee - Professional Services in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

The people. The people at NetApp are great. For the most part, everyone is willing to pitch in and help. Some of the best and brightest I have ever met work for or used to work for NetApp. Granted as a company grows it is hard to maintain the same level of excellence, but I think NetApp has done a pretty job of it.

Cons

NetApp is growing and grew very fast, and that comes with some growing pains. Some of that pain comes from some of the hires that have been made who don't understand what NetApp is, in terms of a company. As with any other vendor, there can be a very heavy sales focus. If sales doesn't like you, your life will be difficult. If sales likes you, your life will be great at NetApp.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus of your company culture.