NetApp

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

Overworked and unstructured

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Morrisville, NC
Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Morrisville, NC

I worked at NetApp as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The companies open culture makes it a great place to work.
Free beer on Fridays makes it easy to social network throughout the company.
Working on the Engineering and Development side has a stable and steady career path, once here you do not want to transition to a customer facing role.
Working on the Customer Support Engineering side has a very high risk, high exposure.

Cons

Working on the customer facing support side:
Do not show interest in moving internal positions for product knowledge expansion of any kind..
The lack of corporate structure and customer management makes it an extremely high risk career.
The company's competitive drive to compete with EMC is put on the employees, as a result is an unmanageable workload.
There are no workflow management tools, you are the workflow, you are the ticketing system.
Survival rate of Technical Support Engineering positions are low. Managements life expectancy is 1-2 years.

Stop the revolving door- get a human routed queue, functioning CRM, ticketing system with e-mail and revise workflow management to accommodate the increased volume in customers.

1162 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

Worst company I have worked in my entire professional life (more than 25 years)

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Could not think of any

Cons

Of my 1.5 years at NetApp as an engineering manager. I spend close to 50% of my time working on a stupid spread sheet for bug forecasting; a week by week forecast of up to 16 weeks or more of how many bugs you will have each week. They call this an art of "voodoo" themselves. Yet the senior management will come down on you so fast and merciless if you exhibited any signs of unwillingness in doing it. "We have been doing this for years and years" is what they will say to you and that itself is enough reason to justify why they are doing it still so it seems.
    If you went above your forecast, they want you to figure out why and where these bugs came from. If you went below your forecast, they want you to know if you padded your numbers and perhaps you should re-work your numbers re-forecast so you are not constantly below.

They seem to think making you spending all your time on bug forecast will help with their product quality, of which there are certainly many escalations exist including bringing down Apple's iTunes down frequently.

It seems all the good people who can think independently and cares about what they do have left the company and the ones who can not, got promoted to be manager/senior managers. Of cause there are exceptions.

Bonus and merits are good means for managers to retain talents. Here it is abused to play favoritism. I have seen my manager withholding both to drive away a key talent in the team on a mission critical project. When I tried to put in a significant merit increase in a desperate try to keep the employee around, I was told I should never have done that without discussing this first and given that it is my first time, he'll forgive me for doing it. I, as the direct manager, seems to have no right to even make recommendations.

The senior manager of the team absolutely does not care how critical you are to the project at hand and/or NetApp, we had 9 people resign from his team in the past 2 years of a team sized ~20, a ~40% turn over rate which is so alarmingly high that it will certainly raise eye brows anywhere else in the industry. But it has not here.

There seem to be no accountability. As the product the senior manager delivered last caused numerous field escalations including the problems stated at Apple. The issues was not narrowed down/sort of patched up till ~20 engineers-year later. This has starved all other developments in the team. Because he knows no strategy except a "pile-up" one which he is quite proud of.

He is still there, driving away talents and delivering products with questionable quality, and god forbidden, might be on his way to be the next director. It is pretty scary to think how long the company will last having this kind of people in charge of the most critical part of NetApp's product.

Please look into what is happening at the execution level, are things making sense?

Best company to work for

Current Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, considerate managers, flexible schedules, starbucks coffee machines, fruits Tuesdays, bagel Fridays.

Cons

Carrier advancement opportunities. Most of the time management resources are being hired from outside without providing opportunities to the internal resources.

Grow internal talent