There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

Overall great place to work.

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits and Salary are pretty good. For the most part employees are treated fairly well.
Career advancement opportunities are available.

Cons

Not a problem before but now that they have grown so big a lot of employees can be self serving so depending on what department you are in you might have to watch your back.
I've seen this happen to a few people; if a manager wants you out for any reason (including personal) you will be gone eventually.

Make sure your direct reports leave the politics at home. The work environment is happier when everyone gets along and helps each other. And when everyone is happy, work tends to get done faster.

1142 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

un-cool and a total disappointment

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

when someone sees netapp on your resume, it seems to carry some clout
    my immediate manager and teammates were great to work with
    the recruiter executed quickly to get my offer paperwork
    there is a handful of helpful folks
    the gym is sweet and the cafeteria was good when i used them.
    my mgr allowed me to work from home which optimized my efficiency across the mutiple time zone meetings i had.
    once HR got my benefits enabled, i thought they were fair and good to Bay Area standards.

Cons

netapp failed to get my benefits right. when i went to use them after paying my share for a month my provider said 'who are you?" and the benefits mgr had no sense of urgency to correct the prob. and it was a netapp mistake. this lack of execution and no sense of urgency is epidemic there.
    the longer term folks know how to coast. and they are coasting.
     there's an overall lack of collaboration and teamwork that starts at the director level and permeates their orgs. individuals and sr managers get away with saying 'its not my job" and retreat.
    it doesn't matter how nice the campus is if the work environment is dismal.
    way too many freaking meetings in sunnyvale - and if you don't attend and some peer thinks you should (and not your mgr) they'll tell you. folks who aren't allowed to wfh don't like it when you do either. very unhappy group of people in SVL.

enough with the cool company e-mails.
    because someone has been with the company a long time does not make them management material.
    focus on product and execution of quality product and components
    teach sr directors and managers about the impact of their bad behavior on their staff.

Fun and interesting work in a great city.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Boulder, CO

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with smart people on hard problems. Managers don't tend to micromanage, and you are pretty free to set your schedule for the most part. Friday beer bashes!

Cons

Quite a bit of process overhead, but it's not as bad as some places. Get interrupted quite a bit, sometimes difficult to be able to focus on things for long periods.

Keep doing what you're doing.

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp