NetApp

www.netapp.com
  www.netapp.com
There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

un-cool and a total disappointment

Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

when someone sees netapp on your resume, it seems to carry some clout
my immediate manager and teammates were great to work with
the recruiter executed quickly to get my offer paperwork
there is a handful of helpful folks
the gym is sweet and the cafeteria was good when i used them.
my mgr allowed me to work from home which optimized my efficiency across the mutiple time zone meetings i had.
once HR got my benefits enabled, i thought they were fair and good to Bay Area standards.

Cons

netapp failed to get my benefits right. when i went to use them after paying my share for a month my provider said 'who are you?" and the benefits mgr had no sense of urgency to correct the prob. and it was a netapp mistake. this lack of execution and no sense of urgency is epidemic there.
the longer term folks know how to coast. and they are coasting.
 there's an overall lack of collaboration and teamwork that starts at the director level and permeates their orgs. individuals and sr managers get away with saying 'its not my job" and retreat.
it doesn't matter how nice the campus is if the work environment is dismal.
way too many freaking meetings in sunnyvale - and if you don't attend and some peer thinks you should (and not your mgr) they'll tell you. folks who aren't allowed to wfh don't like it when you do either. very unhappy group of people in SVL.

enough with the cool company e-mails.
because someone has been with the company a long time does not make them management material.
focus on product and execution of quality product and components
teach sr directors and managers about the impact of their bad behavior on their staff.

1184 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

Fun and interesting work in a great city.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Boulder, CO

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work with smart people on hard problems. Managers don't tend to micromanage, and you are pretty free to set your schedule for the most part. Friday beer bashes!

Cons

Quite a bit of process overhead, but it's not as bad as some places. Get interrupted quite a bit, sometimes difficult to be able to focus on things for long periods.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Political and toxic--one of the worst places to work

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Competitive Compensation
    Market leaders
    Interesting technology, growing market opportunity

Cons

Extremely political. Everyone is out for themselves
    Backstabbing--people are so paranoid about their own job they won't hesitate to sell you down the river
    Political--one person's perception can kill your career and it doesn't matter how hard you work or what you accomplish. It's all about how well you dress and suck up to senior leaders.
    Bureaucratic--nothing gets done quickly, people waste endless cycles doing and re-doing because
    management is indecisive and doesn't stick to a plan.

Stop changing course and reacting to everything EMC does. Stick with decisions and execute against a plan. Don't let closed minded middle managers demotivate and pigeonhole talented people. Show appreciation and respect for people's efforts and time.

It wasn't until I left that I realized how dysfunctional the company was. Glad to be where I'm appreciated and recognized for my skills, talents and leadership.

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp