NetApp

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp

Great Company Bad Middle Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great company to work for if your in the right department. The culture is not what it use to be but it still good. Work-life balance is great again depending on the department. A lot of good people to work with. Good Benefits!

Cons

The company has moved away from what made it great. For example Business Operations lacks true leadership. Fear used as a tool to get things done. Is more worried about covering up problems than actually fixing them. Some management is quick put a target on your back if your not inline with them. Yes, even if your proactive, solving problems, and good at what you do.

Needs to go back to what made NetApp great. Get things done without the BS. If it broken let be known and find a way to fix the problem, stop putting lip stick on a pig.

1186 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

Part of a takeover

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

NetApp takes being the "best place to work" seriously. Facilities and benefits in California locations and larger sites are amazing. Benefits are great. They offer some training and NetAppU is great.

Cons

Very large company that is somewhat set in their ways. Certain departments not willing to change/improve. Takeover was not smooth and it was a clash of cultures. I wish we were able to work better together but that did not happen.

Promote on merit and experience. Develop employees better and utilize a better improvement program than what was rolled out.

Former Employee

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Decent cafeteria with subsidized food. Reasonable hours. Laid back atmosphere. I had the opportunity to work with a decent team of software developers and smart managers.

Cons

A good example of the Peter Principle. Lots of program managers who are beyond their level of competence, overpaid, and treading water.

Like many aging Silicon Valley tech companies, there is a lot of kool-aid being served to employees about how it's such an innovative company and such a great place to work. Maybe it was once innovative, but not anymore. As for being a great place to work, it's not bad, but hardly great.

LOTS of Indians on the data warehouse and ERP sides. I'm not trying to be mean. I definitely met some cool guys and gals. However, as someone who's not Indian, I felt I had a hard time breaking into their cliques. I also had a really difficult time dealing with some of these folks on cross-functional projects, because I could barely understand them.

Constant reorgs. You will hear the word "alignment" twenty times per day. This is a word that stupid people in sprawling bureaucracies use to sound smart, without realizing that it actually makes them sound stupider than they already are. Even outside the context of a reorganization, you will still hear the word myriad times on a daily basis. Someone is always sending you an email about "syncing up" to get in "alignment" about some project or some priorities. Hearing this drivel made me want to throw up.

Get back to your roots. Stop promoting incompetent program managers. Make sure these program managers get laid off on the next go round.

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp