NetApp

I love NetApp

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great Place to Work for people with families.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind currently.

1162 Other Employee Reviews for NetApp (View Most Recent)

Once Upon A Time...

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at NetApp

Pros

...NetApp was the envy of RTP and much of the corporate US. A place with tons of room for intelligent, motivated employees to make a name for themselves and feel like they were contributing to a great company. There were innovative products, the company was big enough to make a splash but small enough to change course when needed. Management was effective, for the most part. Employee Stock Purchase was and still seems to be very generous.

NetApp had (and still has afaik) unique perks like free beer every week, paid volunteer time, etc. Pay and benefits were par for the course in high-tech, maybe a little low in some roles. A relaxed environment where it was almost always ok to wear casual clothes, take a long lunch here or there, and speak your mind when you felt necessary without fear of retaliation.

Cons

However, the company has grown too big for itself - the culture has not been sustained. More managers are being hired than needed, usually through tech company inbreeding (in RTP: Cisco, Red Hat, etc). Too much nepotism in general, especially in more relationship based roles such as sales and marketing. Politics and bureaucracy have gotten out of hand and the company just didn't "feel" the same anymore. Personally I often witnessed praise given to team members who were widely known to be ineffectual and incompetent while the true contributors received nothing but more work to do.

- Less middle management needed: too many are in over their heads already
    - Recognize and reward true contributors
    - Focus more on employee well being instead of stock price

Inflexible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Strong culture, hard working people. There is also a very good gym onsite (in Sunnyvale) - if you get an opportunity to use it, though :).

Cons

Salaries much lower than elsewhere in the industry. Very inflexible culture. I am expected to physically sit there in my cube, whether I have anything to do or not, whether I have to have my car fixed or not. There is very little opportunity to work from home, or to take time off here and there (i.e., come in later, leave earlier and compensate by logging in from home at night.) I am underpaid and micro-managed.

Please trust your employees * to work* while they work at home. Sometimes they just need to be there because someone is coming to work in the house, etc. We are professionals, we don't need to be constantly supervised.

There are newer employer reviews for NetApp