NetApp
3.7 of 5 1,021 reviews
www.netapp.com Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

Good intentions, but bloated engineering bureaucracy

QA Manager (Former Employee)
Sunnyvale, CA

ProsOpen "cube culture" where even the top execs have cubes instead of offices. And frequent "all-hands" where execs address employees directly and in-person.
Perks like company gym, bagel Friday, and monthly beer bash help to boost moral.

ConsSingle product company with life-cycles so long that your children might someday see the feature you were working on. Some of the process tools used are OK, but many are so bad they are preventing a significant amount of work from being done (ex: QC). I really do not know how long NetApp can sustain this. I was so glad to go to a place where I work on something and ship it in the same few months. At NetApp, the product I worked on for almost two years finally shipped 6 months after I left.

The performance review process is to me completely unreasonable. 60% of all employees are given a "3" rating which basically means you get to keep your job. If you're lucky you get a cost-of-living raise. The top 30% or so get higher raises, and the bottom 10% better start looking for another job. The big problem is that this is "rolled up" through the company hierarchy, so people deciding your rating could be 2 or 3 levels above you who no way know your work. Since I was a manager, I had to opportunity to see how this worked, and I saw many instances of gross unfairness. Some other manager could be a better cheerleader to his boss than me, so my tight, productive testing team with great engineers would get the low ratings, and a bloated team that contributes much less would steal the 1s and 2s.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are poor middle managers throughout NetApp who are contributing to suffocating processes that makes it no fun for an engineer to work. You reward engineers who fill out wiki pages all day and punish those who actually are writing code. You are losing your best engineers at an astonishing rate. There are addressable reasons why this is happening, and pretty easy solutions to some of them.

Nice place to work with good salary package

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros: Nice money package. Good work culture and excellent people around you. Management is… Cons: Internal politics happen during promotions or giving bonus package to employee. Promotions not happening at right… Advice to Senior Management: Promotions at right time for right individuals will motivate people to stay for longer period. I like transparent… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More

Finally, a company that appreciates a good work ethic.

Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros: The company culture supports good effort and ethic. Cons: Slackers do not last long. Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on NetApp.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NetApp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NetApp CEO Tom Georgens. All reviews posted anonymously by NetApp employees.