There are newer employer reviews for NetScout Systems

Excellent job satisfaction in Sales Engineering, limited opportunity for advancement

Current Employee - Sales Engineer
Current Employee - Sales Engineer

I have been working at NetScout Systems full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Truly stellar work experience (likely team/geography dependent), very interesting and challenging job. It's easy for a motivated, personable engineer to gain enormous independence - produce results and you can truly manage your own time. Every day is a little different, job is roughly 70% technical, 30% business. Pay is a little > than industry average, and benefits are very good. Senior Management loves SE's. Frequent face time with CEO, who is visionary, and capable of detecting, admitting, and correcting his own mistakes. That's important and somewhat rare in top leadership IMHO.

Cons

There really isn't much of a career path if you don't want to be an Account Manager, and the company is very tight with stock grants. This may be mostly a reflection of the size (2013 Q2 Market cap of 1B, 350M rev, 1k employees). One employee mentioned politics and I don't disagree, I've seen it. It would be best if a small number of long term managers moved on, but in my role and location I'm largely unaffected.

Advice to Management

two words. stock grants. you don't need to break the bank, but some noticeably increased recognition of this kind to top SE's would likely improve retention, though I admit it's already pretty good and I'm unlikely to leave in the next 3 years.

Other Employee Reviews for NetScout Systems

I like it

I have been working at NetScout Systems full-time

Pros

The company is growing and buying other companies. The products are mature and interesting. Great benefits and compensation. Best CEO ever!!!

Cons

Every company has issues and this one is no different. None of these issues, however, would make me want to go and look for another job.

Advice to Management

Keep it up... and bring in some more new blood!

Political and Backward

Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Houston, TX

I have been working at NetScout Systems full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well known name in industry

Cons

Lagging R&D. Very self important and unfriendly customer policies. Legal and finance are a nightmare to have engage with customers. Sales leadership is weak and stuck in ideas 10 or more years old. They are focused on wireless service provider market and but have incomplete and inferior offerings to other competitors that are upper right hand quadrant APM vendors (NetScout dropped off the Gartner chart altogether).

Advice to Management

The incestuous long term leadership from early days still lead the company and believe the world is more or less the same as it was 10 years ago. There needs to be change in CEO, Finance, Sales Leadership to really make a change at NetScout which unless they are sold isn't likely to occur.