There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Don't waste your time if you live in the Bay Area! There are better places to dedicate your time!

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free snacks, nice office, pays well

Cons

Disgusting management! When you're in a small conference room making a personal call and your mgr is in the storage room listening to your phone call or following you everywhere you go! My manager said he was very happy with my performance after 3 months of hiring me. He just got too weird so I resigned. Then he pulled me aside to tell me that I wasn't smart to work for him! What a jerk! His ego was hurt bc he didnt get to fire me! The worst place to work! I'd rather get paid a little less to be in environment where you are valued for your hard work!

Advice to Management

Stop taking manager side! It's the worker bees that is keeping your business alive, not the management!

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Quit, before you're fired.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Netflix does have some great benefits. They offer hourly employees a good starting wage, the break room is stocked with snacks, and employees receive a free Netflix plan. As an exempt employee the wages are great, much better than other companies. The freedom to take time off as you'd like is great, it's unlimited for exempt employees.

Cons

If you accept a job at Netflix, you'll probably be pretty happy at first. You'll feel liberated by how much "freedom and responsibility" you're given. You'll be allowed to complete things without much as far as guidelines and you'll be allowed to work from home if you'd like. However, as soon as you complete something that someone doesn't like, you'll feel differently. Your first mistake could easily be your last. There aren't second chances and no one is safe from being "let go". My advice to prospective Netflix employees: have a savings and jump ship as soon as you can. It's only a matter of time before you're asked to go to a conference room and find yourself starring at a red Netflix packet...

Advice to Management

Wake up and start treating people right...what goes around, comes around

Networking + Not Screwing Up = Another Paycheck

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Pay for the qualifications is above average, upper management does a pretty good job of taking executive initiatives (not in sync with reality of call center at times) and implementing them to meet goals with minimal moral-related blowback given the abnormally lofty expectations at Los Gatos. Opportunity to advance and stay challenged for a call-center environment is above average...catch 22 of this is listed below.

Cons

In this company, what you know and who you know go hand in hand. Floor management is given independence to run their teams their way, provided they hit goals and don't draw too far outside the lines. This in some ways creates a public school environment: Some teachers inspire their students...some make them want to drop out entirely. From the top down there is a constant but rather inconsistent level of pressure to perform or face termination. When there is a lull in customer volume, employees are given adequate time and support to develop their skills...if the volume spikes unexpectedly however, external pressure related to the bottom line overrules, and suddenly everyone in the center is under the guillotine again. As an employee that has seen 80% of the center (now 900 strong) replaced with fresh meat in only a years time, and a large number of those let go having equal or better performance than my own (networking is key), it is frustrating to see so much talent go to waste on a regular basis as a result of a supervisor's<team manger's<director's<corp exec's own stress to perform-or-face-a-similar-fate mentality. Going back to the Pros, you can advance rapidly if you make people notice the positive things you do at the right time, because every level in the hierarchy drops like flies.

Advice to Management

SLOW DOWN and don't lose your center! When you have potential competitors with pocketbooks 1000x the size I realize this is difficult, but it is not a positive position to be in from an internal culture standpoint. If expansion continues without re-evaluation of what makes the company worth working for other than the paycheck, you will exhaust your talent pool, be forced to outsource, and turn into just another company with a generic, pre-programmed message: "What other choice do you have?"