There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Revisiting my review after working here for a while. There are better, rewarding careers out there.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

It's a decent JOB (emphasis on purpose) if you are looking for a heads down, monotonous coding job. If you can manage a decent amount of work and the perspective, you will have a stable pay check.

Cons

I was sold on all the culture stuff and drank the cool-aid at first. After spending a lot f time at Netflix, my perspective has changed for the worse. What good is the sales pitch if you can't deliver.

Some organizations are terrible (i am not talking about IT/ back-office type group) when it comes to recognizing people, allowing (forget about encouraging) their growth. No carrer, no recognition. In a way, its a career dead-end. Its a JOB.

Recent break-neck hiring has bought in a TON of managers (e.g. instead of bringing in 1 project manager, they've hired >1 managers). Believe it or not, it takes 4 times the amount of meetings (compared to 2 years ago at Netflix) to get 1/2 of what we used to get done in the same period of time.

Today, all of the talk about culture (except firing people for no good reason), freedom etc are just BS.

No family insurance (medical, dental etc). Company only pays for the employee but in reality, they don't care.

Apparently, top management (who've been at Netflix forever) thinks engineers who's been at Netflix for more than a couple of years is ineligible move into a management role because they won't be able to hire people. Seriously. Again, this seems to be applied differently in different organizations.

i would love to hear from the management about what data they have to back this up this bs.

Another career killer: Hire people who 'know' their job i.e. an engineer converting to a manager means that person has to 'learn' how to be a manager. Given all the recent (Q4 2011) news about Netflix, decide for yourself about the management 'knowing'.

402 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

used to be a great place, but every year things get taken away, like paid vacation/holidays.

Current Employee - Netflix Employee  in  Lansing, MI
    Current Employee - Netflix Employee in Lansing, MI

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

getting a pay check is all you have to look forward to.

Cons

management doesnt appreciate hard work.

employees are the blood and veins of netflix. start treating them like it. without employees you're worthless.

Overall great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Open communication with different levels of management. Working with hard working, smart, and talented people who push you to succeed.

Cons

Not many opportunities for career advancement in my field - often felt stuck doing what I was doing. Side projects were slim to none.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!