Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Revisiting my review after working here for a while. There are better, rewarding careers out there.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

ProsIt's a decent JOB (emphasis on purpose) if you are looking for a heads down, monotonous coding job. If you can manage a decent amount of work and the perspective, you will have a stable pay check.

ConsI was sold on all the culture stuff and drank the cool-aid at first. After spending a lot f time at Netflix, my perspective has changed for the worse. What good is the sales pitch if you can't deliver.

Some organizations are terrible (i am not talking about IT/ back-office type group) when it comes to recognizing people, allowing (forget about encouraging) their growth. No carrer, no recognition. In a way, its a career dead-end. Its a JOB.

Recent break-neck hiring has bought in a TON of managers (e.g. instead of bringing in 1 project manager, they've hired >1 managers). Believe it or not, it takes 4 times the amount of meetings (compared to 2 years ago at Netflix) to get 1/2 of what we used to get done in the same period of time.

Today, all of the talk about culture (except firing people for no good reason), freedom etc are just BS.

No family insurance (medical, dental etc). Company only pays for the employee but in reality, they don't care.

Advice to Senior ManagementApparently, top management (who've been at Netflix forever) thinks engineers who's been at Netflix for more than a couple of years is ineligible move into a management role because they won't be able to hire people. Seriously. Again, this seems to be applied differently in different organizations.

i would love to hear from the management about what data they have to back this up this bs.

Another career killer: Hire people who 'know' their job i.e. an engineer converting to a manager means that person has to 'learn' how to be a manager. Given all the recent (Q4 2011) news about Netflix, decide for yourself about the management 'knowing'.

used to be a great place, but every year things get taken away, like paid vacation/holidays.

Netflix Employee (Current Employee)
    Lansing, MI

I have been working at Netflix

Pros: getting a pay check is all you have to look… Cons: management doesnt appreciate hard work. Advice to Senior Management: employees are the blood and veins of netflix. start treating… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Overall great place to work.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros: Open communication with different levels of management. Working with… Cons: Not many opportunities for career advancement in my field - often felt… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.