Started off great and degraded from a very positive culture to your typical production line call center.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Hillsboro, OR
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Great pay, good benefits and an annual bonus package to pay for benefits with the option to pocket what you do not use. Decent hourly rate of pay for the industry.

Cons

Schedule changes based purely on performance with no regard to personal needs, including family or school schedules. Court ordered child visitation is also not recognized. When this was brought to management during the last shift bid it was made clear that there were no personal accommodations being made everything was purely performance based. No annual reviews and or raises. No vacation pay, if you are able to get time off approved you are expected to cover it out of pocket. When ill management will use various tactics to make you feel guilty about not coming in to work.

Treat all of your employees equally. There are currently 2 internal sites, one runs using the original Netflix values, the other is run like a typical turn and burn call center. Allowing some flexibility in schedules puts less stress on your employees, also vacation pay and allowing time off would help reduce the amount of turnover that happens and would also keep employees happier and more productive. This would also reduce the cost of having to train more employees. Also taking feedback from your employees about conditions would also improve morale by making your employees heard.

Other Reviews for Netflix

Challenging but worthwhile.

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Two-week intensive training, $10,000 per year allotment for health insurance or as taxable income, 401(k) Matching up to 3%, FREE 8 DVD at-a-time plan + Watch Instantly plan, Awesome lunchroom amenities [free popcorn, apples, bananas, Macaroni & Cheese and Cup-o-Noodles]. Plus, Workforce Management contracts with local food vendor trucks for availability during peak lunch hours. Availability of 4-10 hour shifts. Comfortable and fun work atmosphere, never a dull moment.

Cons

Customers. Talking with customers day in, day out can be rough on moral [but that is the job, right?!] Just remember, "it's just movies, they aren't mad at you." That was a piece of advice that I was given and I remember it anytime a customer was rough with me.

Do not be so quick to judge the abilities of a representative based on a few days or even a few rough weeks. The job is not easy but with your help, it can be. "It's just movies."

Absolutely terrible and soul-crushing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free bananas, apples, coffee. Low priced soda. Free Netflix account. I worked with (not for!) some amazing people. If your supervisor likes you, you will be treated very well and have some degree of leniency when it comes to meeting stats and time spent on the phone.

Cons

Pretty much everything else not noted above. Most days the "What's working?" list is shorter than the "What's broken?" one.

No communication between departments. Customer service is forced to make things up because the Netflix "engineering" or "research" teams don't give any sort of information to the reps regarding estimated time to service restoration during outages. I put engineering and research in quotes because, as a CSR, you never actually speak to them. They are merely referenced, like mythology or fairy tales.

Reps are given goals that are nearly impossible to consistently meet, in what I believe to be a fairly obvious system that gives Netflix an opportunity to fire virtually any employee for not hitting their metrics. You basically are there by the grace of your boss, if they want to find a reason to get rid of you it will be fairly easy for them to do so.

The customer dissatisfaction is worded in such a way that many people are leaving feedback on Netflix, not the individual rep, but this DSAT number must be below a certain percentage or you risk losing your job. You are basically encouraged to burn through as many calls as quickly as possible, placating the customer or flat out lying to them (blaming their ISP, home network, or device manufacturer) enough that they'll be compelled to say that they're satisfied after you say "please stay on the line for a one question survey" and then promptly hang up on them.

There is absolutely no way that you are going to have consistent, quality interactions in 4:30 minutes or less, ESPECIALLY after the missteps that Netflix has made this year. But if your numbers drop, or you spend too much time trying to help out, be prepared to be "coached".

Coaching is such an absurd term, because it implies that there is a sort of team camaraderie or human aspect. My last coaching session with my boss involved being told that I was not giving my all. I was only supposed to be a contractor for 59 days. I was supposed to have health insurance by now, and some security as an employee. Instead we are told that they can only afford to hire on so many people, and better luck next time, but you're welcome to stay on as a temp if you like! So yes, I don't really feel like giving my all. Despite putting in consistently good numbers, multiple people on my team have told me (independently) that they are afraid of being fired at any time.

I get the feeling that many people are there only until they find something else. Netflix was actually a considerable pay cut from my last job, but even if the pay was higher the way they treat their employees is at the top of the list of the worst employers I've ever personally experienced. Work / life balance is non-existent. While going through some personal issues in my life, my supervisor told me to "leave it behind me" when I walked in the door, not offering anything close to a compassionate response.

One last observation: the people I've noticed who seem to be TRULY happy there are the ones who are too young to know any better. I'm not old by any means, but I'm also not an 18-24 year old kid who doesn't realize that jobs don't need to be like this, that you can actually be treated like a human being and be *inspired* to perform, rather than doing it because you fear for your job on a daily basis. Eventually Netflix will chew them up and spit them out, too. Ask yourself why anyone should give loyalty to a company where an employee celebrating a 6 month anniversary is considered a veteran?

Also, the positive reviews on here are probably left by Netflix management. It cites things they don't even offer anymore at the Hillsboro facility (like free mac&cheese, and, oh I dunno, BENEFITS for most of the people here). You will most likely be a temp with Netflix (meaning no benefits) until you quit or get fired.

I've been lucky enough to work for some truly amazing companies, and Netflix is definitely not one of them.

This is simple. Learn to communicate. Start treating your CSRs like human beings. Stop encouraging CSRs to lie to customers. Tucking tail and rescinding your decision to split the company doesn't magically make you a "feedback driven company", it means that you got called out on BS and you're backpedalling.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!