Lost their way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- top of market base salary - 4 DVD out plan is free - do not penny pinch on equipment, get whatever you want.

Cons

- freedom and responsbility is their mantra when you're hired, but it is not practiced by new managers. - people get fired all the time for disagreeing or questioning management on anything. - On some teams(mine, not all) there was no collaboration in design between managers and programmers. The managers designed it and the only freedom the programmers had was to develop it exactly in that manner. If you disagreed with the design, you guessed it: your fired. - even star performers routinely get the axe. Others remaining are understandably nervous about their jobs. - so called stock plan makes no sense at all. Only plan I've ever heard of where an employee has to risk his own money to participate. - benefits are awful if you have a family. It cost me $800/month to have medical and dental for the family of 4. If your single, your completely covered. - no vacation paid when you leave. This is also a plus in a way though. Netflix does not track vacation time at all. If you take too much though, you will get fired without warning.

Advice to Management

- take off that powerpoint presentation from jobs.netflix.com about the Netflix culture. It no longer applies. Netflix has turned into the mature company that is envisioned in the slide deck. Star performers no longer want to work there.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Horrible Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

-Market based pay -Lots of chances for advancement within the company -

Cons

-No work-life balance -Lack of respect for associates -Performance based company which relies heavily on what have you done for me recently -Management lacks respect for operations

2. For Hub Manager -Great Pay, but zero job security or training, or stability.

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Pay - Challenge - Can't think of another.

Cons

- Nature of the position was not presented accurately before hiring. (they sold it as an HR position, but it was a glorified mechanic/ops manager job). - The turnover is insane. Out of about 65 hubs (at the time), there were about 6 emails about managers who were terminated my first week. That rate was very common. - There is absolutely no training or assistance if you need it. - You are viewed as a commodity. - They feel (and they'll tell you so!) that they can pay you a lot so you can produce fabulous results no matter what. - They fire people for no reason. I believe during the economic downturn maybe they fired a lot of management to replace with cheaper managers, but that may have even been going on before I got there. - They wanted to penalize me for having too many cracked discs in my hub, but couldn't find anything my employees or myself were doing wrong. Offerred no helpful advice, etc. Said we were doing great. Got canned anyway. I always had great reviews, above average everywhere else I've ever worked.

Advice to Management

Realize that turnover costs a lot of money. Either your hiring process is seriously off (and it is), or you need to develop a training/follow up program for management. You aren't getting the results you want with ANY managers? Maybe the common denominator is you.