Demanding and rewarding

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Netflix expects the best of everyone, pushes us to be as great as possible, and is extremely candid with feedback and advice to help realize that objective.

Cons

Don't expect to kick back - it's a demanding environment. That said, it's not ell encompassing - there's room for a real life outside work too.

Focus on the future, and don't regret lessons learned from the past.

Other Reviews for Netflix

Sword of Damocles

Former Employee - Director  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- great physical work environment in Los Gatos
    - great co workers: highly motivated, intelligent, impressive experiences. Netflix hires people at the peak of their games
    - at the time (2007-2010), it was an exciting time of growth in the online streaming space, with consistent growth in the DVD space; fun to be on the cutting edge, and high growth.
    - great compensation; employees are well paid

Cons

- there is a constant sword of damocles (i.e. the threat of removal) hanging over your head. even when you think you are doing well, you can be released unexpectedly, at a moment's notice. (this results in a culture of fear)
    - there is no career path; Netflix hires you to perform a job, and once that job is over, it's easier for them to let you go rather than retrain or relocate you.
    - this is not the place to be if you want work/life balance; not family friendly

- missteps from a year ago (i.e. 2011 - Qwikster) have caused a loss of confidence in management
    - there are still lots of people in the US that want to rent DVDs; much better selection, and much better accessibility. It feel like Netflix is now content to ignore them and move on. What happened to the great customer service that built the brand?

Training is fun but then the real nightmare starts...

Former Employee - Netflix Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Netflix Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food handed out a lot, casual dress code, lots of people in their 20s that you can relate to.

Cons

Very confusing attendance policy. If you're not a permanent employee yet basically, you miss a day or two, they'll fire you. Very little support from upper management when dealing with customers. Impossible sometimes to get assistance with problems though they advise that you get their help when needed. I was so stressed from continuously being threatened by my supervisor that I might lose my job I couldn't stand it. If you want to have any sort of healthy work environment, don't work here.

Figure out an attendance policy and stick to it & be absolutely clear. Don't treat your employees like they don't matter either. People will find out & not want to give you business.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!