There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Was sad to see the company change so much in one year

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room to make your own decisions and think on your feet

Cons

When the price change occurred it was a cluster bomb that went off. Then it was announced the company was splitting to two (one DVD and one Streaming) and then it was announced none of that was happening. All the while customers were up in arms over this and we in management were always finding things out at the same time customers were so we had no time to prep our staff. Some very hard months for moral with our staff. Lost a lot of trust with our employee base in terms of management to subordinate relations.

Make sure your mid-level management knows anything key before the public gets it through the blogs, etc. They have to have time to prep their staff and gain buy-in to make a successful transition occur with company changes and/or snaffus.

402 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

For Engineers, this place is a joke

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

You're given independence and the ability to do your job how you see fit - some of the time. Most of the time management runs around like a chicken with their collective head cut off and priorities constantly change.

Cons

- The salaries are competitive, but not particularly high, despite what their so called slide deck proclaims. Keep in mind that your stock purchase and "bonus" is included, so $160k at Google is the same as $210k at Netflix.

- Constant threats of firing, a culture of fear and throwing other employees under the bus to save your own skin. The threats of firing lead to crunch and absurd stress levels.

- Employees aren't as intelligent as other high tech firms, they're hired more for the ability to play corporate politics than technical skill.

- To follow on the above, the average stay here seems to be about a year. Understand that Netflix isn't an engineering company, it's an entertainment company and a fragile streaming infrastructure and clunky front end is built to consume that entertainment. But content is king, not the technology, and it never will be.

I'd recommend working on technology a bit more. With the continual turnover and exodus of engineers, the technology and products are a house of cards.

Excellent company to work for

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Incredibly talented coworkers, opportunity to make a difference (your work is really seen in other parts of the company), very interesting area of work, top company in the world in its field, excellent compensation.

Cons

Very specific areas of work, it might be difficult to transition to other groups or do anything different if you are not a fit.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!