Know yourself, then manage your path accordingly

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Brilliant co-workers, opportunities to have a direct impact, minimal nit-picking bureaucracy or corporate policies, dynamic energy as the company continually evolves. Company does pretty well as removing doofuses and not hiring jerks. For the saavy employee, you can move into some great opportunities as the company grows and adapts. Upper management is very transparent (even when sometimes they don't make the best call -- e.g. Qwikster).

Cons

Dynamic environment does not work for a 'do my work and go home' employee or those who just want to show up and be told what to do. Middle and lower management can be a crap shoot -- seek out a great boss (there's many at Netflix) and avoid the bad ones (unfortunately, Netflix has those too). There is a level of 'playing the game' but not to an extent that I'd say is greater than anywhere else. Corporate philosophy does not emphasize coaching (but does not ban it) -- so you need to seek out your own mentors or strengthen your team (if you're a lead) by figuring out career/skills grown on your own.

Other Reviews for Netflix

Big company with the heart of a startup

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
    -Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
    -Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
    -Smart coworkers
    -Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons

-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
    -Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
    -The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

We're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

Competitive Company with Opportunities for The MOST Ambitious

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Santa Clara, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

free food, and flexible scheduling is promoted, although in a call center, this schedule flexability is not really existent. Senior and Middle management try their best to be honest and forthcoming.
    If you want something you can ask anyone and they can probably get it for you if you work for it.
    Believe in promoting from within, and encouraging you.

Cons

truthfully, their open door policy on who's getting fired, or what changes are happening can be somewhat stressful at times. you don't feel a sense of job security. their feedback oriented management style just feels pressure-some.

Netflix is a team. A sports team. an ambitious and cut throat team who will trade you off if they see you're not an asset any longer, rather than encourage you to move cross functionally.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!