There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Big company with the heart of a startup

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
-Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
-Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
-Smart coworkers
-Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons

-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
-Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
-The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

Advice to Management

We're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

reviews filtered by

Let us do our jobs!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Netflix full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Relaxed environment: Dress code very comfortable
    Decent wage: Beats the heck out of minimum wage
    Free account: as long as you are employed

Cons

Too much pressure on AHT. 5.5 minutes to relate, converse and fix issues. Not near enough.
    Tech team needs to get their act together. Can get 3 different answers to the same question.
     Need more positive reinforcement. Scare tactics make for constant turnover.
    3rd party call center..attendance policy very strict

Advice to Management

Let us do our jobs! Stop confining us on time spent with the customer! We have many elderly customers who need more explanation for issues. DSat is stressed way too much. Back off on a few things..and watch that DSat drop! What is more important...a satisfied member..or how many calls we take a day.

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Best place if you just want to work with great technically capable folks.
    * 15-20% higher pay but if you actually consider everything, it might not be that big of a deal. Check what will be in-hand salary after taxes because taxes also go high with salary.
    * Somewhat transparent workplace but at times higher management takes ridiculous decisions like Quickster, what the hell....
    * Reed gets thing right most of the time (except Quickster) and understand what he is doing.

Cons

* Worst place where all technically capable folks are also so heavy on political games within the team. Also it depends on which team you are part of. My general observation is, larger the team greater the politics being played within.
    * IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are. I have seen ppl being walked out they were far more talented than other mediocre engineers surviving there for 3-4 years just because they lick the managers a*s and I have seen managers loving it being licked :)
    * Few managers who came from Google or some other similar companies, think that they know everything in the world and act as if they rule the world but actually they are literally dumb a*s when it comes to real work.
    * They claim it is all rockstar engineers and the fire who are not but I have seen ppl surviving for ages not even knowing what they did for all these years at Netflix and they are pure mediocre engineers.
    * My advice to engineers would be if you are happy with the work what you are doing right now or with other offers in hand, don't fall for the salary trap, it is merely an illusion.

Advice to Management

* Gets rid of all mediocre managers, directors and those stupid engineers.
    * Change the culture of fear from its root because that creates so much politics inside. I have never seen such a political environment in my 10 yrs career.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix