There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Highly political culture, dysfunctional.

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Pay and the Netflix name helps on your resume, since most people outside do not know how bad it is inside.

Cons

Mind numbing. Stress. Constantly watching your back. There are people who have very high title (Directors, Managers, even VPs) who got it because they've managed to stay there the longest. Not because they are qualified for the job. The long timer/oldtimers survived by CYA each others. Those who they think are dangerous to their job will get the knife in the back.

It's not how good you are. It's how well you "play the game" and "fit in with the political culture". They value "safe" decisions that do not rock the boat. At least in the IT Ops dept that I worked in.

Get your head out of the cloud once in a while. There's real problem underneath. Engineering got tired of the dysfunctional IT Ops group, and built their own infrastructure so they don't have to deal with incompetent people.

Best thing to do is fire everyone in Ops, and start fresh.

412 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Repackager (former employee)

Former Employee - Repackager in Santa Ana, CA
    Former Employee - Repackager in Santa Ana, CA

I worked at Netflix part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Easy job to get for HS college student

Cons

mindless work with no opportunity

Started out great but toward the end not so much...

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Free movies, before the last set of layoffs there was genuine regard for employee satisfaction and feedback was often solicited not only to improve business processes but also to gauge morale. After a while, not so much...

Cons

Frequent layoffs. Whole departments got laid off at a time. I guess I should have figured how it was going to be when the entire management team save one manager was suddenly gone a few months after I had completed training, which btw was before the 2008 meltdown. The entire QA team was let go a few months later and the entire Tech support team shortly thereafter.

Seems as though it would be difficult to keep quality people if the company lays off entire departments.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix