There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

No place like it!

Former Contractor - QC, Digital Supply Chain in Los Gatos, CA
Former Contractor - QC, Digital Supply Chain in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Worked with a great team; scrupulous attention to quality; great opportunities to stretch one's wings and pursue new skills; great food.

Cons

Inconsistencies within the workplace and the "culture deck." Loss of excellent team members when projects ended or were terminated.

Rethink the "Expect to be laid off" mentality; Retraining team members who could have been co-opted into new projects could give Netflix new vitality

reviews filtered by

Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Relative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

Cons

Since many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

You've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Csr1 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

Cons

How about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Reed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix