Worst place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

High Salary and Good Office location

Cons

Average benefits. Management by fear. No human values. Can get fired after high performance. Severance package is not good.

Advice to Management

I never thought human values and business values have to be diametrically opposite in order for a company to succeed. Netflix is a great manifestation of that. Management by fear is what they practice and they are able to achieve great business results using that. So far it seems to work. Ethics and human values are good topics for theoretical discussion but I think those are obvious hindrances to the way modern day businesses need to run.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Good pay, terrible communication between management and employees

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Get health insurance on date of hire, and decent pay Eight free dvd at a time plan Great co-workers Free food Very nice cleaning crew Near easy freeway access Close to many restaurants

Cons

Lack of communication between management and employees and many managers/supervisors who have little or no experience working with other people or managing in a constructive manor. Fear based management style, the sense of loosing your job for lack of staying within the metrics, your supervisor having a bad day, or any other reason they come up with. Manditory overtime with the expectation you will work it or loose your job. NO respect for doctors notes. The large number of people getting walked out on a daily and weekly basis. Seeing co-workers in tears over there job.

Advice to Management

It would be great to hear feedback some day that Netflix, is an awesome place to work. From ex-employees instead of disgruntle employees who wished they never worked for your company. Netflix has a great product, it would be nice to see the same effort put into the employees moral.

Love the company, Hate working for it!

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay, and the perks, ie. free netflix!

Cons

Terrible management! Very high schoolish. It is not how good you can do your job, its how good you are with your supervisor. Actual comment from a supervisor when asked to come in a couple minutes late for a school exam was "you need to think about what is important to you right now, school or your job." Supervisors are very self absorbed and if you are not all about them then you will be fired and off their team.

Advice to Management

Training program is very good. They let you know what is expected of you and how to get there. Unfortunately the supervisors do not match up with the training. The training was very thorough and we went through a lot. I was very dissapointed when I got out and noticed that each sup had their own way and went a total different direction then training. We wer given examples of what not to do and you would see the supervisor doing it constantly. We were given specific verbage that we could use in certain circumstances and the supervisor will let you know how terrible you are for using that verbaige and that is not the netflix way! very contridictive. Managers only go by what their supervisors say about you so if your supervisor doesnt like you they have all the power to get rid of you. Very high turn over rate! I personally saw at least 30 people fired during the short time I was there. Even though I read the comments about get in and get out before getting canned, I went into the job thinking that would never happen! I did everything I was told to do was told I would be amazing by all the trainers and that I would go far, wasnt my supervisors best friend, so I got fired.