There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

The Truth About the Netflix Call Center..... :(

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

-decent starting wage (assuming you make it out of training)
-inexpensive benefits and decent health care coverage
-for the most part, employees (CSR1) are really cool to work with
-sheltered smoking area
-Free Lunch (Mac and Cheese, Oatmeal, or Ramen)
-Unlimited coffee (caution... don't take a bathroom break!! You may get fired)
-Schedule choices offered after training (Choose Wisely)
-fairly decent training support for the first two weeks of employment (if you made it)

Cons

-Out of every 100 customers who you interact with by phone, you may only have 5-6 upset customers or you risk losing your job
-you are always tied to your desk by a phone cord
-The calls keep coming whether you want them to or not...
-There is no set concrete guidelines for evaluating personal performance. It is all subject to caller reviews (i.e. You're job may depend on somebody's bad day!!)
-After your initial training (assuming you made it) there is a real lack of support for training from the management team. You will only see your team manager during your last week of training and then your first reprimand and your last day. (Watch out for the RED PACKET!!!)
-Netflix is great at finding talented people to do the job, but they are HORRIBLE at retention. Do they have a quota for firing people???
-Whether you are a CSR, CSRII, Supervisor, Team Manager, or the Call Center Manager, you are never secure in this position. Do not count on it for long term stability/security in employment.

DISCLAIMER: I was not fired from my job... I quit, gave notice (albeit through the attendance line).. In all honesty, Netflix was a great transitional job for me. I needed quick money, and work and Netflix filled that vacancy. I was very happy with the people I worked with, as I made some really good friends while working there, and that is the only positive thing that came out of Netflix. I now shop the Redbox.

Customer Service is not simply a game of numbers. As a Customer Service Representative, and as a former Customer Service Manager, and trainer, with a reputable company, who Netflixs' own Michael Osier, vice president for information technology operations and customer service, based the Hillsboro call center after; my advice is to focus generally on the broad customer service experience and not sweat the small stuff. A good former CEO of Southwest Airlines once said "We can't take ourselves too seriously" If you're not having fun, and treating your people with decency, the you will have a poisonous atmosphere that is impossible to come back from.

Thanks

411 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Decent Place to work

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

In this time of uncertainty, this is a good job. You have to be self motivated and naturally competitive to survive here.
    -Free food for working mandatory extra hours.
    -Stock option
    -Free subscription
    -Clean facilities good

Cons

-A bit scary in terms of job security at first. If you're scared for your job after being there for a few months, then you are likely not a good fit.
    -Advancement is limited and competitive.
    -Getting approved time off.
    -AOL, little old ladies, prepaid cards, IW history, all authorizations in general.

Management is a little iffy, but improving. There are some internal changes happening that I notice that address a lot of issues mentioned here. I hated the mandatory extra hours, but after addressing my concerns to my supervisor, my needs were met. WFM has their job to do with their own set of guidelines, so it can feel like they are unresponsive. Persistence pays off and complaining to your co-workers will get you nowhere.

Worst treatment of humans I have ever seen.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The insurance is good and you get it quickly after starting. There are some good people that you meet here, however they are usually fired within a matter of months. It is a challenging environment to work in.

Cons

The hours are very poor. There is no chance for promotion unless you are part of the current in crowd. The culture that is created is one that promotes arrogance, aggressive behavior and dishonesty. The general feeling is of fear and anxiety amongst the employees. You do not receive a performance review until you have upset management. You are expected to perform at such a level of intensity that it creates extremely high tension; associates tremble with fear. You are flat out told that you are expendable, and no matter how hard you try or what you accomplish, you will likely end up being walked out the door once they find someone who is not at the verge of a breakdown to replace you.

Management should consider the fact that by promoting and encouraging anti-social behavior the company is setting itself up for disaster. While people should be self-motivated and strong, they should not be expected to work themselves to a point of breakdown. Do not string the employees along and tell them one thing one day and something entirely different the next.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix