Netflix

www.netflix.com
  www.netflix.com
There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Three works can summarize the culture at Netflix. : Culture of Fear.

Former Employee - Great Service But Not Great A Place for A Career in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Netflix base salaries are high. Engineers are all very senior. The buildings are beautiful and having onsite expresso machines is wonderful. The location near Los Gatos is great. Everyone outside of Netflix understands and loves the service which is a pretty big perk.

Cons

Netflix is the first place I've worked where you can get fired for doing too good of a job. Managers are always changing usually as a result of being shown the door. The constant turnover leads to another problem in that there is not much domain expertise in the systems built in Netflix because of the high turnover.

There is no career growth in Netflix. What you are hired for is more than likely what you will be doing for your stay at the company which on average is only a couple of years. There are cases where engineers / managers morph into something different but it was very rare.

Box lunches are provided but they are terrible. That food is not meant for human consumption. A variety of vendors would be nice.

The unlimited vacation policy is touted as a key benefit but watch out. Constantly changing priorities and short deadlines along with no job overlap means you are going to be able to take that nice vacation to take.

The compensation is skewed in that there are no bonuses or stock grants for the rank and file employees. Insurance for anything beyond the employee ( significant other / family ) will be passed along to the employee. In many cases I've heard this can pretty expensive.

I will say that I did have some good times at Netflix. If you are considering it as a company do your homework, ask the right questions, and make sure you weigh the pros and cons of the environment.

Fix the culture. While there has been a steady stream of engineers and managers to choose from times have gotten better and there are other choices. Netflix could be so much more if you valued your employees, focused less on the short term distractions, and invest more on making employees love the work environment in the same way everyone loves the Netflix service.

427 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Take What You Can Get

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Surrounded by quality/competent people.
    Immediate health benefits.
    Highest dvd plan.
    No script.
    Encourages employees to take initiative, and is fairly open to allow employees to make judgment calls when where there are no definitive guidelines in place.
    Supervisors are talented and empathic individuals, with plenty of knowledge and support to offer.

Cons

Monotonous/repetitive job. Taking on average 80-110 calls daily. If you are not a talker, this job won't pan out for you. Upper management is generally ineffective and out of touch with the common CSR. Guidelines and strategy are routinely changed, with no clear purpose for the change.

Give more authority to the supervisors, who seem to be more in touch (and more competent) to the duties of being a customer service rep.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Extremely open and honest culture to work in.
    Management takes pride in culture and therefore is very candid about both the strategy of the company, and the challenges ahead of us.

Very flat organization.

Cons

No clear career path or career development provided. "High performance" culture means that we aim to hire very talented people (which is great), but we don't hestitate to let some one go if its not going to be a good fit over the long-run.

Continue being open and candid about our strategic direction; it's extremely helpful in providing both context and unity of purpose.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix