Netflix
www.netflix.com Los Gatos, CA 1000 to 5000 Employees

Total Lack Of Respect For Employees

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix

Pros-$$$$$$$$$$!!! ($13-$14/hr to start w/full time hours immediately)
-Free rental subscription--the highest one they offer (8 @ a time)
-Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance available right away
-free food in breakroom along with Netflix connection & big screen TV to watch shows
-showers in bathrooms if you walk/ride a bike and need to clean up before work
-peers are fun to work with
-high speed internet & laptops available to check e-mail, facebook, myspace on breaks

Cons-fear-based company
-anyone higher up than you will NOT respect you. Period.
-cliquish environment (if you're not with the in crowd, you're invisible.)
-very poor communication about job performance
-do not uphold their own company values
-rarely promote from within
-contradictions galore!

In the nine days I was there for training before being unfairly dismissed, I saw several examples of employees being treated like children and unreasonably scolded. One girl was in the classroom 5 minutes before break was over. She suddenly had a bathroom emergency, so she left quickly to take care of it. She made it back just as they were shutting the door. On the next break, she was taken aside by the supervisor (supe) who said, "I noticed you made it back from break just as I was shutting the door. I just wanted to let you know that's unacceptable. You need to be back from break several minutes early." (In other words, you really don't get your full break.) She apologized, saying she'd been there five minutes early but had an emergency. He said, "I'm sure it won't happen again."

One girl had to call in sick because her child gave her the flu. They forced her to speak to three different people who scolded her, the last of which was the call center manager himself! He said he was going to give her the opportunity to come in for the rest of the week.

Another girl simply asked her neighbor for a pen during class. She was pulled into a conference room afterward and told by two different supes that talking during class was unacceptable and wouldn't be tolerated.

Netflix has a zero-tolerance policy for what they call "push back". They touched on this very briefly in class during our second week of training. The example they gave was this: "If your supe tells you to change something and you say, 'I don't feel like it, so I'm not going to', that's considered push back and will not be tolerated." Basically, it's outright insubordination. My supe said I needed to work on verifying every account. When people call in, their account auto-pops onscreen....unless they don't give their service code to the automated answering service before they're transferred to a live person. This happens about half the time and it's mostly people who don't have accounts and are just asking about the service. So I asked my supe, "Is that even when they're just calling with a general question about the website?" He said we needed to at least ask for a name and warned me that what I'd just said was considered push back but he'd let it slide this time. I was baffled but just said, "Okay." The same supe told me he liked that I was resolution oriented because that was a good thing. An hour later, he took it back saying it was bad and I needed to focus on empathy. When I was let go, they gave me the opportunity to give feedback. I mentioned the contradictions I'd noticed and also that I didn't understand how asking a simple question during training was considered "push back". I was told that it's all about perception and I just wasn't a right fit. They also said this sort of thing happens often.

Before you go to work for Netflix, ask yourself this: if the pay is excellent and the benefits are great, why is the turnover rate at Netflix so high??? Why are there so many bad employee reviews out there? Notice the recurring themes in the reviews, i.e. lack of respect, no job security, fear based business, no career growth opportunity, etc. There comes a time when the realization that it's not everybody else, it's the company, has to set in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more reasonable with your employees. Maybe if you applied the same amount of empathy you insist on for call flow to your staff, people would be more inclined to stay with you.

Smart People; Poor Management

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)

I worked at Netflix

Pros: Pay 14 bucks to start Free Plan Super Smart team mates. Leaving my team was… Cons: Fear based management No rules or policies No paid time off My first TM (team manager) spoke to me for a total of 10 minutes during my first… Advice to Senior Management: Speak to your employees! Don't treat adults like they are children. TM's should give Supervisors the ability to make decisions about their teams rather than… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

Good for the short run, high turnover, long hours, don't get too comfortable

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros: Health insurance from day 1 is always nice. Cons: Hostile work environment. They are constantly hiring and firing. If you don't meet the metrics, be prepared to walk. Management fires people and says nothing… Advice to Senior Management: Offer incentives for good service other than allowing the reps… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

There are newer reviews on Netflix.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.