There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

If Netflix was a TV show: Action Series with a Hint of Survivor

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

* "Freedom and Responsibility Culture" = Lots of individual control (Read Reed's slide deck)
* If you're part of a well-run team, you'll love it
- Excellent compensation
- Unique stock option program with personal choice for $$$ allocated
- Fast-paced environment with lots of challenges
- It's the largest streaming movie service in the world and it's just getting better
- Extremely open with corporate information sharing (no internal culture of secrecy like Apple)
- Incredible execution over the last couple years - the methods can be controversial, but you can't argue with the quarterly/annual results

Cons

* "High Performance Culture" = You can hang yourself easily and get canned (Read Reed's slide deck)
* If you join a mis-managed group, you'll be posting a negative review on here soon. :-)
- Average benefits programs
- Inexperienced managers can mis-apply the "high performance culture" philosophy and lead to the "culture of fear" some people have complained about in certain organizations
- Double-standard for performance: VP/C-level staff appear immune from "high performance culture". Reed rocks, but some of the others are average/good, not exceptional.

In almost two years at Netflix: Some people LOVE working at Netflix, some cautiously tolerate it. Too much of this is dependent on whether they're working for a competent manger that is assumed to properly apply the "high performance culture" philosophy.

The desire to streamline HR by getting rid of almost all policies and procedures means no "professional development" for your management teams. There needs to be a level of education for new managers (hired and promoted. Don't assume everyone "get's it" in order to make sure the "high performance culture" is properly applied. Done right, people will know what's expected of them, get regular feedback from their managers, and KNOW if they're on the short list for being let go as business needs change. They can react to this and either adapt or anticipate why they're getting a severance package. For most employees, Netflix is a short-term roller-coaster ride with options to ride again for those who enjoy it. When someone exits the ride, you want them leaving with a smile and the civil handshake, not a brick to the head and a just a check to cushion the pain.

I've been lucky to work for a manger who's awesome, and I've been having a great time. It's painful to see the flip side where co-workers are not always enjoying the same perspective when the company is doing so well as a whole.

reviews filtered by

Work was going well, but I was fired for being sick

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free Netflix subscription, good compensation for what you are doing, just sitting and talking really. They also allow you to use your own judgement when compensating customers for problems.

Cons

I was ahead of the curve for a new hire, things were going well. I got sick a couple of times and then a week after my last absence, they fired me at the start of my work week. I just wish they would have said something like, you can't miss one more day or we will have to let you go, something along those lines.

If you have written-in-stone guidelines such as an attendance policy, those guidelines should be something shared with the people that they are being enforced on. Because how are you supposed to obey a law, if you honestly don't know it exists,

Best run company I have ever been with and I have been with some good orgs.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Amazingly smart people. Business looks easy but is complicated--hard problems to solve which is why I am here. I get to do work that affects our customers, directly...way cool that my role has that much impact.

Cons

Not everyone wants the culture to work--and that is disappointing.

Keep the course with the business and the culture.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix