Netflix

The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

So far I am incredibly impressed with Netflix. This is by far the highest concentration of smart people I have ever seen at one company and I have worked in Silicon Valley for over 20 years at large and small companies. In addition, not only are they smart but also very helpful and ego free. I read the culture slide deck before I started but wondered if they actually "walked the walk". I've found the answer to that question to be "absolutely".

If you are not a really smart, driven person who can operate completely independently and with little direction from management, then you will not be happy or successful at Netflix. There is no hand holding, and expectations are high. But if you are the kind of person that craves lots of freedom and responsibility than you will love it.

In the period of time I've been here, I have personally seen several people get promoted from engineers to managers and from managers to directors. There is a lot of career growth as the company is growing like gangbusters right now and if you are great you will love it and thrive.

Cons

If you are looking for safety and worried that you won't get another job somewhere else, Netflix is not the place for you. Basically, Netflix operates like a Startup company. There is no hand holding, you have to make lots of important decisions on your own, you have to be proactive about seeking out help and information, and the culture is fast paced and filled with lots of people who would be the smartest guys in the room at other companies. At Netflix the whole room is filled with those guys. If that intimidates you or scares you, thats a sign its not a good fit for you. If that lights you up and excites you, then you will love working at Netflix.

Its going to be a challenge to preserve the unique culture as the company grows. Please keep focusing on freedom and responsibility and make sure new managers totally get that aspect of the culture. That is what attracted me to Netflix and I want to see it continue as we grow.

420 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

Best run company I have ever been with and I have been with some good orgs.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Amazingly smart people. Business looks easy but is complicated--hard problems to solve which is why I am here. I get to do work that affects our customers, directly...way cool that my role has that much impact.

Cons

Not everyone wants the culture to work--and that is disappointing.

Keep the course with the business and the culture.

Times are tough so you probably need the job but start looking for a career ASAP once hired!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

hands down pay is great 14.00 plus health care benefits (800 extra a month if you opt out of insurance) puts my pay above 2500 a month!

10 hour shifts (can be a con too) three day weekends are nice but you will need it

Classified as a hostile work environment by the state of Oregon so you get unemployment for virtually anything you may get fired for (even if you deserve to be fired). Make sure you get hired by netflix first before taking advantage of this sweet pro. It does not work if you are still on your trial period with them through a hiring agency.

Great job to go into to find a real career especially as a college graduate in this economy

Cons

Customers have no lives so they call up about stupid things and feel they deserve the world for $9.99

Dealing with stupid people all day long is very rough.

Pay is great but think about it, why do they pay so well? If it was a great place to work they would not need to pay well, would they ;-)

constantly acting like you care takes its toll at about 4 months in (like I said start looking for another job on your three day weekend no matter what you think at the start of this job, you will thank me later for that nugget of info ;-)

You will not get time off even though they don't give you paid time off

People are always getting axed around you so don't depend on the job.

Let people take time off! By not your allowing people time off your making them get burnt out.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix