There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Hell with free Easy Mac

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free Easy Mac, Tea, Oatmeal & Cup O Noodles
Free Netflix Subscription

Cons

The people working here are so ridiculous and the trainer is straight from Sesame Street.

I knew one of the first 6 people to open the center, and she had been laid off over a year prior to when I started. She had some horror stories, but I thought the pay would overshadow any hint of doubt I had.

I made them aware of the fact that I was in school [college, obviously] prior to being invited to the interview, and they said that was fine & they'd work with me (I found out later that this is a complete lie). I went through training and everything with positive feedback. Only after that did it become an issue, and I was constantly pulled aside and berated. I am not going to quit school to slave away at a job that will last less than a year. They pulled me into random rooms around the call center and told me my "internet browsing privileges were being taken away during my breaks," because I looked up Netflix reviews. I was told that my face looked "sad and depressed." Well, of course it was after you pulled me into a room 3 times in one day trying to make me feel bad about going to school.

They expect you to talk to 85-year-olds with Alzheimers that can't even remember their email address, let alone their name, and help them fix whatever issue they have in less than 5 minutes.

Why is there free food? Why are there showers here? Why are there laptops for you to use? Because they want you to eat, sleep and breathe Netflix.

People are human. Netflix has no human aspect to it.
When I first started, everyone there was worried about their job, although most of them were recently promoted. That's horrible. Start investing in people so you don't waste money on training.

Don't say things that can bring a lawsuit to your door.

Don't hire people in school.

Don't expect newly trained employees to know all of the answers when your trainers don't even know the answers.

408 Other Employee Reviews for Netflix (View Most Recent)

This place is absolutely grueling; they eat you up and spit you out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Salaries are at or above the market rate.
    Good stock options for salaried employees.
    The ability to work remotely, from home.

Cons

Working around the clock, phone calls during vacation.
    Very high attrition rates
    Constant fear of being let go
    Always switching directions while running full speed ahead.

Quit being elitists. Your company is a revolving door and you continue to lose brilliant people because you don't treat them like human beings.

At the rate in which Netflix hires & fires, I'm amazed that they are sill able to find people to interview!

If Netflix was a TV show: Action Series with a Hint of Survivor

Current Employee - Engineering Manager  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

* "Freedom and Responsibility Culture" = Lots of individual control (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you're part of a well-run team, you'll love it
    - Excellent compensation
    - Unique stock option program with personal choice for $$$ allocated
    - Fast-paced environment with lots of challenges
    - It's the largest streaming movie service in the world and it's just getting better
    - Extremely open with corporate information sharing (no internal culture of secrecy like Apple)
    - Incredible execution over the last couple years - the methods can be controversial, but you can't argue with the quarterly/annual results

Cons

* "High Performance Culture" = You can hang yourself easily and get canned (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you join a mis-managed group, you'll be posting a negative review on here soon. :-)
    - Average benefits programs
    - Inexperienced managers can mis-apply the "high performance culture" philosophy and lead to the "culture of fear" some people have complained about in certain organizations
    - Double-standard for performance: VP/C-level staff appear immune from "high performance culture". Reed rocks, but some of the others are average/good, not exceptional.

In almost two years at Netflix: Some people LOVE working at Netflix, some cautiously tolerate it. Too much of this is dependent on whether they're working for a competent manger that is assumed to properly apply the "high performance culture" philosophy.

The desire to streamline HR by getting rid of almost all policies and procedures means no "professional development" for your management teams. There needs to be a level of education for new managers (hired and promoted. Don't assume everyone "get's it" in order to make sure the "high performance culture" is properly applied. Done right, people will know what's expected of them, get regular feedback from their managers, and KNOW if they're on the short list for being let go as business needs change. They can react to this and either adapt or anticipate why they're getting a severance package. For most employees, Netflix is a short-term roller-coaster ride with options to ride again for those who enjoy it. When someone exits the ride, you want them leaving with a smile and the civil handshake, not a brick to the head and a just a check to cushion the pain.

I've been lucky to work for a manger who's awesome, and I've been having a great time. It's painful to see the flip side where co-workers are not always enjoying the same perspective when the company is doing so well as a whole.

There are newer employer reviews for Netflix

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!