There are newer employer reviews for Network Communications Inc

NCI is a great place to work. NCI is like a Family.

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

• Casual Dress Code • Friendly Environment • Opportunity for advancement • Decent Pay • Flexible with time off requests • Senior Management, especially Dan McCarthy, has worked hard to keep our company relevant in this Poor Economy.

Cons

The Economy has hit the Publishing Industry Hard especially for Real Estate. Benefits have been reduced. However, the reduction of benefits have helped keep the employees employed. I would like to note that most of the other negative comments about NCI are really not about the company on a whole but instead about a specific newer department that is still finding its feet.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Upper management is blind and they want to keep it that way

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

It is a paycheck. Our direct managers seem to care about us and try to make it a better environment where they can.

Cons

The Sherpa team has barely worked at Network for a year. Many of us in production have worked at Network for many years, some have been with the company since it started. We have gone through many layoffs over the past few years and seen some of our long time friends escorted out the door with no notice. Yet the Sherpa people post a few negative comments, complain about their work environment, and the entire plant is being turned upside down to stop Sherpa from complaining and making company management look bad. Production people don't complain because we all need our jobs. If we complain, we know upper management will find a reason to get rid of us. The only pay increase we have received in the past 5 years was 2%. Apparently the company got a tax break. Our insurance deductibles have doubled. In prepress the carpet is filthy, the walls are putrid beige, and it is either too hot or too cold. Someone is always stuck sitting next to the restrooms. The pressmen are expected to work long hours. Bindery has to work weekends and they have no heat in the winter and no air in the summer. The Sherpa people have no clue how bad it really has been. When they started that team, money was no object, and apparently still isn't. I'd like to see them work in bindery with no heat or air conditioning for 1 week. Their is a severe lack of fairness in this company. The only reason anyone should consider working here is to have a paycheck until they find a better company to work for.

Advice to Management

Mr. McCarthy - Open your eyes. Sherpa is not what you thought it would be and it will drive our company into the ground if it continues to be managed like this. Our company is sinking and there is no way you can make us believe the pretty picture you try to paint in your scripted quarterly reviews. You claim the employees are your most valuable asset. Why only some? We have stood by you through the hard times like you asked of us.

2. Not for the individually minded creative person

Current Employee - Creative In the Belly of the Whale in Lawrenceville, GA
    Current Employee - Creative In the Belly of the Whale in Lawrenceville, GA

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

Paycheck, time off, that's all

Cons

Most of the reviews stated here are dead-on. This company needs to take hold of how their employees are compensated - pay and benefits - as well as take notice of the environment in which they work.

Advice to Management

Buy some new chairs, for God's sake. At least do that. The chairs everyone sits in are about as old as the building. After that, buy "real" computer desks or cubicles - ever hear of the word "ergonomic"? Paint the ugly white walls, fix the outside "picnic" (grumble) tables, turn the channel on the break-room TV to at least something watchable other than Fox (or turn it off - it's just background noise) and maybe add some healthier snacks to the vending machines. There's so much more, but these things would be a huge start.