There are newer employer reviews for Network Communications Inc

NCI is a great place to work. NCI is like a Family.

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

• Casual Dress Code
• Friendly Environment
• Opportunity for advancement
• Decent Pay
• Flexible with time off requests
• Senior Management, especially Dan McCarthy, has worked hard to keep our company relevant in this Poor Economy.

Cons

The Economy has hit the Publishing Industry Hard especially for Real Estate. Benefits have been reduced. However, the reduction of benefits have helped keep the employees employed.

I would like to note that most of the other negative comments about NCI are really not about the company on a whole but instead about a specific newer department that is still finding its feet.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Upper management is blind and they want to keep it that way

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

It is a paycheck. Our direct managers seem to care about us and try to make it a better environment where they can.

Cons

The Sherpa team has barely worked at Network for a year. Many of us in production have worked at Network for many years, some have been with the company since it started. We have gone through many layoffs over the past few years and seen some of our long time friends escorted out the door with no notice. Yet the Sherpa people post a few negative comments, complain about their work environment, and the entire plant is being turned upside down to stop Sherpa from complaining and making company management look bad. Production people don't complain because we all need our jobs. If we complain, we know upper management will find a reason to get rid of us.
    The only pay increase we have received in the past 5 years was 2%. Apparently the company got a tax break. Our insurance deductibles have doubled. In prepress the carpet is filthy, the walls are putrid beige, and it is either too hot or too cold. Someone is always stuck sitting next to the restrooms. The pressmen are expected to work long hours. Bindery has to work weekends and they have no heat in the winter and no air in the summer.
    The Sherpa people have no clue how bad it really has been. When they started that team, money was no object, and apparently still isn't. I'd like to see them work in bindery with no heat or air conditioning for 1 week. Their is a severe lack of fairness in this company.
    The only reason anyone should consider working here is to have a paycheck until they find a better company to work for.

Advice to Management

Mr. McCarthy - Open your eyes. Sherpa is not what you thought it would be and it will drive our company into the ground if it continues to be managed like this. Our company is sinking and there is no way you can make us believe the pretty picture you try to paint in your scripted quarterly reviews. You claim the employees are your most valuable asset. Why only some? We have stood by you through the hard times like you asked of us.

2. NCI has grown and changed as has its core business - publishing for Real Estate, Multi-family and Home Design industries

I have been working at Network Communications Inc

Pros

NCI is an industry leader.
    NCI's Senior management keeps all employees informed of company wins, losses and goals.
    NCI rewards innovation, loyalty and hard work.
    NCI treats all employees equally and fairly.

Cons

If you're not good at following established processes and working from within to enact change, you may become dissatisfied.
    If your priority is only about creativity, you may become dissatisfied.
    If you are unable to maintain focus and discipline, you may become dissatisfied.

Advice to Management

Continue to reflect on the core business while establishing new processes and incorporating new technology and media.