Networked Insights

www.networkedinsights.com

Loving it, can't wait for the future

Current Employee - Research Analyst  in  Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Research Analyst in Chicago, IL

Pros

I absolutely love working at NI. When people ask me where I work, I can babble on for hours.

First, it's a great field. A bit of market research, a bit of media analysis, a bit of marketing strategy--there's enough interesting work to keep you constantly learning. In previous jobs, I was bored within months unless I got a promotion. Here, I haven't felt bored or like I wasn't learning since I've started. We're using a lot of social media data as well, and it's rewarding to be on the cutting edge.

I love that everyone here matters. If you have a great idea, it doesn't get bogged down by seniority, rank, or unwarranted processes. Prove your idea has value and you're generally allowed to run with it (if there's time!).

In addition, if you take control of your career path, you will be allowed to explore what you want to explore. Say you want to get experience in X, you will be allowed to work on X. They truly understand that the best way for the company to grow its expertise it to allow individuals to explore what they want to explore.

Finally, the culture is amazing. We work hard and we play hard! It's not rare to see a group working furiously for hours without stopping nor is it rare to see people chatting, playing hacky sack, or drinking a beer. A bit of overtime here or there is not unheard of (believe me, nothing like media agencies!), but neither is taking off early after a stressful day. If you have a doctor's appointment during business hours, no worries; just make sure you get your work done. I love that management has the trust in their team to allow this to be possible.

Cons

As a small, growing company, communication is an issue. By the time management figures out an efficient way to disseminate information to everyone, the market has changed and our tactics have changed. In addition, knowledge sharing has become an issue during growth. This can be frustrating, but it's just one of the quirks of working in a growing company.

The benefits package is okay, but I wish the insurance was better.

Focus on internal communication and training. Make sure across all teams, strategy and execution is being communicated with a unified message.

Other reviews for Networked Insights

The Emperor Has No Clothes

Pros

Better than average pay, no real supervision, very flexible time-off policy, open work space, free snacks, alcohol at work not frowned upon

Cons

There is a unfortunate mix of arrogance, immaturity and inexperience that runs through this place. Their technology is no where near where it's led on to be so you find yourself doing menial tasks that the technology should (and is supposed to) be doing. They rely on fast turnaround times as their differentiator so the "analyses" are almost always done under the gun with a speed vs accuracy mentality.

Communication is terrible which given the company's size, is inexcusable. Madison HQ seems to operate in a bubble separately from the satellite offices. Felt like people in Madison were given preferential treatment in the form of positions as a reward for having been there from the start so you have a lot of people who have little to no real experience in data analysis creating metrics out of thin air with nothing to back it up.

Pick a direction for the company and concentrate on how do it better than anyone else (TV went to Trendrr and Bluefin so you need to find something else) vs. the company's current position of sitting back and criticizing everything the competition does but never explaining why and more importantly how, NI does it better.

Not everyone has the stomach for a young company in a new industry

Pros

- Enormous market opportunity and vision
    - Strong talent throughout the company
    - Strongest performers are generously rewarded, weakest colleagues are shown the door
    - Bleeding edge technology, excellent engineering talent
    - Well funded with large investors
    - Flexible scheduling, generous PTO, understanding of work-life balance issues
    - Exercise groups over lunch hour
    - Office perks like open air environment, snacks, beer, ping pong, shuffleboard

If you can handle the ups and downs that inevitably come with being a young company in a brand new industry, this company is the place for you. The company has always had a leading edge strategy and has been consistently ahead of the competition and marketplace on when to pivot, what to build, and how to position the products and capabilities. As any entrepreneur knows, that does not always translate into immediate and direct success or stability. A lot of the negative reviews on glassdoor come from individuals that were hired when the revenue and client base was growing consistent and there was an overriding sense of security and stability. Unfortunately there are going to be bumps when you are trying to fundamentally change an industry as large as marketing. When those bumps hit, they surprised and spooked a lot of people. Many of those folks have left, some of their own accord, some because the business had to pivot, and others because they were not strong performers. The upside is that the team has gotten stronger, more nimble, and more focused as a result of the turnover.

And fundamentally, the underlying technology is second-to-none. There have been massive investments in research and development over the last couple years that have finally positioned the company to take off in a major way. It has been a long road but the company is in a place to turn a lot of the marketing world upside down. The future is exceedingly bright.

Cons

- Ups and downs in revenue and client sales as the market and product matures
    - It's not easy being in an infant industry
    - Currently at an awkward size culturally, too big to have the perks of a small company, not big enough to have the perks of a large company
    - Tendency to bite off more than can be chewed in product development

More attention could be paid to connecting with and understanding the rank and file colleagues. The company is small enough that senior leadership should have actual relationships with many of the colleagues throughout the company, not just other senior leaders or VPs.

Always be re-evaluating whether or not our plans are focused enough.

Resist the temptation to build the standard HR policies and procedures that companies usually have. Think creatively about the culture and create policies that ensure the company is a fun place to work where people feel trusted and valued. The rest will take care of itself.

There are newer employer reviews for Networked Insights.

Worked for Networked Insights? Contribute to the Community!