Poorly managed, lifestyle company

Former Employee - Director
Former Employee - Director

I worked at Neudesic full-time

Pros

Many colleagues are nice, talented people. If you are in the inner circle, life can be grand. The executive team's loyalty coupled with being their friend can provide ample opportunities for title progression. Some of the internal IT tools and systems are better than at much larger firms and they were built in-house.

Cons

Engagements are not set up for success in the sales cycle. Too often, projects are under-bid or mis-estimated because the pre-sales team didn't thoroughly dissect the problem. The projects are then sold without sufficient reviews in place by people that can ask the right questions. To make a bad situation worse, those projects are then sometimes improperly staffed.

Quite a few unqualified people running markets around the country without the proper skills or experience to build consulting businesses. Without that leadership in place, employees and clients suffer, unless they happen to get lucky and get the right person or people for a project.

There seems to be a lot of money going into initiatives that don't appear to be bearing sufficient fruit to keep the motor running long term. Fortunately, the consulting business is still generating ample revenue to support other investments.

There's a tendency to want to "sell a body" to a customer, rather than a solution or project team. That creates a culture of cowboy consulting and individual contributor mentality in the consulting ranks.

Invest heavily in strengthening the consulting business. Perhaps offer some training to your market leaders to learn how to run a proper consulting business, because that is your bread and butter. Once your core competency is on solid ground, leverage the proceeds of that investment for expanding into the next great product or service line.

Scrum training for everyone is not going to suffice - you need to hire and grow real business leaders and people managers while building scale into your model. Methodology alone will not save the day, though it is nice that the training was provided.

Other Reviews for Neudesic

I'm very happy here.

Current Employee - Senior Consultant II  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant II in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for more than a year

Pros

Primarily working from home.
    Very reasonable amount of travel.
    Intelligent, experienced teammates.
    Opportunity to take ownership and solve problems.
    Individual bonuses are easy to track and accomplish.
    Competitive salary.

Cons

Requires a lot of discipline to stay focused and get your work done when no one's breathing down your neck.
    Very little training and support--unless you ask for it! :-)
    Team bonuses can be difficult to track and accomplish. It's hit or miss and feels out of my control. I just look at the team bonus as icing on the cake.

Land of Opportunity

Current Employee - Practice Leader  in  Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Practice Leader in Irvine, CA

I have been working at Neudesic full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

• Culture: good core values - Passion, Discipline, Innovation, Teamwork, and Integrity
    • Mobility: strong support for employees changing their role and career path (better than any other company I've ever worked for, I've changed my role three times) .
    • Good support for promoting individuals from within the ranks.
    • Very successful growth rate
    • Company has achieved leadership recognition in multiple markets
    • Very competitive compensation
    • You get to work alongside some very smart people and thought leaders - you have opportunity to both teach and learn from others
    • The company's heart is in the right place - cares deeply about taking care of clients and employees

Cons

• Tendency to hire senior (VP-level) management from the outside rather than promoting from within
    • It often feels like the company is growing faster than it can keep up with - forcing frequent reorganizations
    • Some processes and systems in the company are mature while others are very under-developed
    • Not for under-performers. If you lack the passion and zeal to put everything you've got into your work, Neudesic is probably not for you.

Keep up the great work! I appreciate that the partners and senior executives work as hard as is expected of everyone else. While we still have areas to improve on, there's no question that our organizational maturity is recognizably improving year after year.

There are newer employer reviews for Neudesic.

Worked for Neudesic? Contribute to the Community!