Unique Opportunity for Professional Growth

Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Salt Lake City, UT
Current Employee - Vice President Operations in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Neutron Interactive full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Neutron Interactive provides amazing benefits and an awesome environment, but more importantly it is a platform for motivated and driven employees to develop and execute their own business ideas... think start-up incubator.

Cons

If you do not adapt well to change and a rapidly evolving business, this might not be the place for you.

Advice to Management

Hire awesome people.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status

Financial Mess

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Neutron Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Remodeled office in 100 year old downtown building. Catered lunches. Great insurance coverage.

Cons

No planning and anti-organization environment. Irrational spur of the moment decision making. Not a very friendly place to work unless you're one of the "favorites". Constant layoffs with promises of "we now have the best team we've ever had" after every layoff. Neutron is in the business of hiring people not retaining employees. People in leadership positions are not qualified to be in those positions and the company's lack of growth is directly correlated to this problem. Extreme financial mismanagement. After leaving my position they continued to pay me my salary for more than a month before realizing they had made a mistake then became very nasty demanding their money back when I thought they were doing it out of good will.

Advice to Management

Don't screw over your employees by continuing to pay them money months after they quit then demanding the money back. It's your mistake so you should take the loss because of your incompetence. If you fail to plan you plan to fail so good luck.

Lack of Trust

Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Developer in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at Neutron Interactive full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great entry level opportunity to learn how larger web systems work. Constant problem solving challenges pushing you to learn. Catered lunch everyday makes life simple. Beautiful office and relaxed atmosphere.

Cons

A creative facade and great benefits hide a general lack of trust - employees are micro-managed, second guessed, and made to feel replaceable. I constantly felt that the work I was doing didn't matter and was only a temporary bandaid to much larger problems that simply aren't being fixed. My drive to contribute and innovate turned into a waiting game to collect a paycheck. Each VP and department head acts as if they run the company with a general lack of planning, concern, and communication with the other departments or the company as a whole. Just be warned that there are lots of conversations had behind closed doors with very little transparency. Don't speak out of turn and don't rock the boat and you'll be able to coast along just fine. No planning and lack of organization means priorities and projects change almost on a daily basis. With no HR department company culture is almost non-existent unless you count back biting and throwing people under the bus because plenty of that goes on there.

Advice to Management

Poor decision making all around. Your company has grown to a point where you're no longer qualified to run it but sadly you haven't recognized this yet. Maybe it's because anytime someone starts a conversation with you you do 90% of the talking. The people you have employed are professionals in their fields that's why you hired them in the first place so trust them to do what they know best. Real trust in your employees means allowing them the freedom to make mistakes. Similarly, in parenting there is no better way to crush a child's spirit and make them feel worthless than not giving them the room to be creative and to make mistakes. When you trust your employees its encouraging, empowering, and breeds loyalty. However, since you're on vacation half of the year we can see that your loyalties lie in your money and and not the lives of your employees so good luck with the high turnover rate. Stop playing favorites and you might be surprised what your other employees can do.