Nevo Technologies

www.nevo.com
  www.nevo.com
There are newer employer reviews for Nevo Technologies

A great team working on challenging business problems, with opportunities to grow.

Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA
Current Employee - Software Developer in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Nevo Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Nevo doesn't have departments. Aside from one part-time administrative position, everyone at Nevo is a developer/engineer. Depending on the project, we might work individually for a client, on a small team of 3-5 Nevo developers, or occasionally on large projects that involve the majority of our staff. We work very closely with our clients, generally on greenfield projects using the modern web/desktop technologies. In most cases, near the completion of a project, we hand over long-term maintenance of the application to our clients. Although we often begin major new development projects for those clients to evolve the application at some later date, developers are generally working on new projects rather than maintaining existing applications.

Although we're all developers, we may play different roles depending on the needs of our clients or of a particular project. Every project involves a mix of pure development, design, and project management work. There tends to be an opportunity for developers to take on more or less of these tasks, depending on the needs of the project, so there is good opportunity to try new things and master new skills.

Logistically, working in Harvard Square is great. Although our office is fairly basic, developers always have the hardware they need to work productively.

Cons

Although we're a team, individual developers are expected to be fairly autonomous. That may mean working directly with a client to refine requirements, or implementing a feature where the general requirements are stated but the specific approach will be based on the developer's best judgment. We tend to be people who enjoy this way of working, where each developer is more involved in the project than simply following a technical specification. It may not be a good fit for someone who just wants to be told what to do, point by point.

6 Other Employee Reviews for Nevo Technologies (View Most Recent)

A project centric company providing the opportunity to frequently write software from the ground up

I have been working at Nevo Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nevo is a small consulting organization that builds custom software applications for clients in a range of industries, and using a variety of technologies. Relatively small teams are brought to bear on projects, and everyone on the team is technical. As a result, there is great camaraderie and everyone else on the team can be used as sounding boards for ideas and approaches. Additionally, the small size of the team offers the ability to work at all levels of the application stack, all phases of the application lifecycle, and grapple with both technical solutions as well as business requirements clarification.

In the end, I really feel like Nevo has offered constant opportunities to feel like an instrumental part in creating a very diverse set of solutions, and to really grow as a developer and problem solver along the way.

Cons

Because of the small size of the company, staff are relied upon to be very self sufficient. While colleagues are always willing to listen and provide advice, staff needs to feel confident in setting the business and technical direction of projects on their own at times, or with minimal support. Staff also need to be flexible regarding working on client sites for periods of time, potentially without the daily presence of colleagues, which can add its own dimension of pressure to the job.

An outstanding company - filled with the best and the brightest

Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Manager in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Nevo Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good working environment, very collegial, positive attitude throughout. Challenging techniical problems, but that's what makes it fun.

And it's employee owned --- one of the few places where everyone benefits from good results.

Cons

none to speak of. It's a great place to work. If you are a super-structured person, though, this isn't for you. AND - there are new technical challenges every project. If you don't like learning new things, this won't be a comfortable job.

There are newer employer reviews for Nevo Technologies