There are newer employer reviews for New Haven Public Schools

Worked for New Haven for 10 years

Former Employee - Teacher  in  New Haven, CT
Former Employee - Teacher in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

For many of my years in New Haven, I felt I was truly helping children in a way that best suited both students and myself. I met many interesting teachers who became friends.

Cons

Too much emphasis on data, not child centered. Management expects children to function as a computer would with the teacher as programmer. They don't take into account that students are people and have a variety of needs. They talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk. Creativity and any variance from exactly what every other teacher is doing is unacceptable. When my position was eliminated, I received a letter from HR on Aug. 6, addressed to Mr. (my last name), but I am Mrs. It was not an oversight, but an assumption based on name. In some schools in New Haven, there is racism from administration against "non-minority" teachers.

Treat teachers as the professionals they are.

7 Other Employee Reviews for New Haven Public Schools (View Most Recent)

It has been a good run.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students  in  New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students in New Haven, CT

I have been working at New Haven Public Schools part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

One of the best things about working for the Board of Ed in New Haven are the people I work with and the students I coach.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a long time to get things done but not often.

Listen to your people in the schools

Great place to learn about working for a municipality or large public school district

Former Employee - Director, Information Technology Department  in  New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Director, Information Technology Department in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools for more than 8 years

Pros

- Challenging work environment
    - CEO, at the time, cared about the students
    - Hard work is eventually recognized at all staff levels
    - Will at least allow flexible schedules to pursue advanced degree, although they do not reimburse.

Cons

- Compensation is low, compared to other school districts, for non-instructional employees
    - Management, for the most part, does not listen to employee feedback
    - There is simply no policy for staff development for non-instructional/operations staff

Review non-instructional employee/manager compensation against similar organizations and ensure it is in-line. In addition, provide career pathing/progression for non-instruction/operations staff. Remember, your staff is your greatest resource!

There are newer employer reviews for New Haven Public Schools

Worked for New Haven Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!