New Haven Public Schools

There are newer employer reviews for New Haven Public Schools

Work environment

Current Employee - Clerk Typist in New Haven, CT
Current Employee - Clerk Typist in New Haven, CT

I have been working at New Haven Public Schools full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pretty good benefit package, laid back environment and some supervisors are easy-going. Is a good place for someone at entry level. The work week is 35 hours with an hour lunch break and 2 - 15 minute breaks. Free parking, fitness room and snack machines available to employees.

Cons

Heavy workload without comparable compensation. Not a good place to work if one is looking for advancement. Advancement is very difficult and little to no reward for hard workers. Too many employees in an office/work area. Favoritism is given to some clerks/secretaries. Work load is the same as an administrative assistant.

Support staff (secretaries/clerks) should be paid based on their experience and knowledge as well as appreciated more

7 Other Employee Reviews for New Haven Public Schools (View Most Recent)

Worked for New Haven for 10 years

Former Employee - Teacher in New Haven, CT
    Former Employee - Teacher in New Haven, CT

I worked at New Haven Public Schools full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

For many of my years in New Haven, I felt I was truly helping children in a way that best suited both students and myself. I met many interesting teachers who became friends.

Cons

Too much emphasis on data, not child centered. Management expects children to function as a computer would with the teacher as programmer. They don't take into account that students are people and have a variety of needs. They talk the talk, but cannot walk the walk. Creativity and any variance from exactly what every other teacher is doing is unacceptable. When my position was eliminated, I received a letter from HR on Aug. 6, addressed to Mr. (my last name), but I am Mrs. It was not an oversight, but an assumption based on name. In some schools in New Haven, there is racism from administration against "non-minority" teachers.

Treat teachers as the professionals they are.

It has been a good run.

Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students in New Haven, CT
    Current Employee - Substitute Teacher/Dean of Students in New Haven, CT

I have been working at New Haven Public Schools part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

One of the best things about working for the Board of Ed in New Haven are the people I work with and the students I coach.

Cons

Sometimes it takes a long time to get things done but not often.

Listen to your people in the schools

There are newer employer reviews for New Haven Public Schools