Part Time Bus Operator

I have been working at New Jersey Transit

Pros

NJ Transit can eventually lead you up to a full time position with state health benefits and excellent retiree benefits.

Cons

You get few hours and start out at $15.07 hr. which sucks.

Stop abusing part timers and give them more lines to work

Other Reviews for New Jersey Transit

Great place to work

Former Employee - Payroll Systems  in  Maplewood, NJ
    Former Employee - Payroll Systems in Maplewood, NJ

I worked at New Jersey Transit full-time

Pros

Maplewood location everyone is very friendly. Good systems and procedures in place. Overall pretty organized. Not high stress in the payroll dept, good management. Great team work. 401k & a comes out to 9% match ASAP no waiting period and you only put in 6% to get the 9%. Health is only $20 per biweekly paycheck for a single non smoker and copayment is $5 - PPO. Death benefit 1.5 times your salary

Cons

no raises or bonuses but a lot of opportunity to get moved up. They always hire within. No free train or bus rides anymore

A Great place to work, where you can be challenged to take initiative.

Current Employee - Bus Operator  in  Oradell, NJ
    Current Employee - Bus Operator in Oradell, NJ

I have been working at New Jersey Transit full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

You can rely on your paycheck being there and available when your are supposed to get paid.
    You aren't stuck behind a desk all day.
    You can meet a great array of people and develop great contacts.
    your earning potential is based on your work.
    Great Benefits (health and dental)

Cons

You can begin to feel stuck in your.
    There is no growth on the operator level.
    Moving up in company can be based on seniority so it can take 10-15 years to be considered for a position that may allow you to learn new skills

Bus Operators definitely need to make a greater Salary, especially living in NY/NJ area.
    We should also be given the privilege to get an education, specifically in speaking multiple languages, because many times we are handling customers who do not speak English, and these passengers may be visiting, lost, or ask simple rules questions where we aren't equipped to give great customer service.
    With a Bus Drivers quality of life, where we can sit in our drivers seat all day for entire shifts, weight becomes an issue which can effect our general health, i feel as if a partnership should be made with surrounding gyms where we can receive a great discount on their membership packages, to keep drivers healthy and fit.

There are newer employer reviews for New Jersey Transit.

Worked for New Jersey Transit? Contribute to the Community!