There are newer employer reviews for New Look

Good people, good atmosphere, a few issues

Current Employee - Warehouse Colleague  in  Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)
Current Employee - Warehouse Colleague in Newcastle under Lyme, England (UK)

I have been working at New Look full-time for less than a year

Pros

- Opportunities for personal development and job opportunities advertised in house. (I have since moved to a better job in the company and am very happy with the progress and opportunity).

- Unsociable hours pay for nights (after 10pm until 6am)

- Team leaders are very informal and friendly provided you are working well and the shift managers are helpful and will resolve any issues you have.

- Good atmosphere in the workplace- you are working with a large team and the atmosphere is relaxed and friendly.

-Performance related pay (very generous in some departments) which can boost your income depending on how well you work

- Shift pattern means 4 days off in a row and occasionally 5 (based on an average of 4 12 hour shifts a week). Good work-life balance

- No problems getting holidays (except at certain times of year when you must book a few weeks in advance) and they are generally open to allowing you to leave early on holiday pay if there is no work available (depending on department). Within reason, they are open to you booking unpaid holidays as long as they are approved.

- Working environment is generally safe and pleasant. Staff canteen is good and free drinks are offered.

- Job involves a lot of diversity, you will probably be trained on several jobs within the department and will have lots to put on your CV afterwards (good for youngsters looking to gain experience).

- Free christmas dinner and sometimes a present on the last day before christmas.

- Contracts are always initially temporary but they like to keep the door open for former employees who proved themselves reliable- I returned to work very quickly with New Look due to a previous spell with them and they fast tracked me back to work which was very helpful.

Cons

-Pay is not comparable to similar jobs and has not increased with inflation. It started at £6.50 an hour in 2005 and has gone up to only £6.62 in 2012 (whereas other similar distribution centres have increased by over £2 an hour in this time).
-Performance related pay is very unfairly distributed and incredibly complicated- some depts can earn 100s of pounds a month, others get none and nobody knows how it is worked out.

- Kronos system used for clocking on is very OTT- you have to 'task in' to everything including breaks which feels somewhat excessive at times. They know exactly what you were doing at every single minute you are at work. Good for PRP and performance evaluation (apparently) but very annoying to live with!

- Very poor training. You will often be trained for about 30 mins and then left to it by yourself free to make lots of mistakes and after a few days they assume you can do the job perfectly well.

- Very loose recruitment policy for warehouse staff. I have never been to a more unprofessional job interview- it was as if they wanted to accept anyone no matter what their background or experience. The result is a very mixed bag of employees, not all of which are beneficial to the company or the team they work with. On the other hand I appreciate their ethos as a proud creater of jobs in a deprived area and they always seem to have the door open for former employees who wish to return.

- Annoying that you must be exceptional to be kept on permanently, I was only ever offered 'extensions' of 3 months at a time which meant I could be out of a job at any moment without warning. It doesn't send the best message that the company values your contribution and means your workmates change on a regular basis.

-Rely a lot on agency staff and seem willing to trust them with skilled jobs for which they haven't been properly trained.

Overall I enjoy working for New Look and would recommend them. Most warehouses have similar issues to those I listed and if they ironed these out they would be a fantastic employer. I would definitely recommend them.

Pay more attention to training your staff properly- so many new starters are left with no guidence at all. Be a bit more selective with staff but offer a better wage- I'm sure this would be of benefit to everyone!

46 Other Employee Reviews for New Look (View Most Recent)

good company to work for

Former Employee - Store Manager  in  Clonmel (Ireland)
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Clonmel (Ireland)

I worked at New Look full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

staff discount is fantastic 50% off everything! good training provided and plenty of opportunities to progress if your looking for a career

Cons

can be labour intensive at times, must be able to multi task very well, high level of visual merchandising required

hard but it feels good. they are giving too much pressure and trend, almost every month but i really love it.

Current Employee - VISUAL ARTIST  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - VISUAL ARTIST in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at New Look as an intern for more than a year

Pros

the best training ground for visuals. its very hard to play the eyes for the visuals but this is the way to make you more creative and passionate about it.

Cons

too much politics. most of the top managements are not deserves to be promoted

increase the salary.

There are newer employer reviews for New Look

Worked for New Look? Contribute to the Community!