New Relic

I love it here

Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Engineering Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I've been here a few weeks now, what brought me here was a number of things which I can say have panned out pretty well so far:

* I wanted to be challenged as a manager, to grow my people-wrangling skills
* I wanted to be exposed to different languages/platforms (yay polyglots)
* I wanted to work on a product that I actually cared about
* I wanted to work with a lot of people that I could learn from, who would take the time to help me
* I wanted to work with startups, but avoid sweatshops
* I wanted to be someplace where developers are first-class value-creators, not "IT"
* I wanted to work with really nice people

New Relic was a little bit of a happy accident for me. I was a customer of them first, and ran across a job posting for which I applied, but didn't get the job. They liked me enough to find me a different role, and I am thrilled to be here today. I have been really impressed by the folks here and I've run across at least a half-dozen folks here that have said, "this is the best place I have ever worked." It's really hard to not feel good about being here. There are loads of little things that make this place great, like how everyone has lunch together every day, or how looking at laptops/phones is banned in meetings, or how you are expected to go to meetups/dev conferences so long as you adjust your schedule to not overwork when you do. I continue to be awed - they really want people to be happy and take the whole life-work balance thing seriously.

Cons

I suppose the only major negatives I can think of are that the current office is a bit of a sardine can as we are growing rapidly, but we're moving into "big pink" at the end of the year - we'll have a ton of space there. Also the technical ramp can be fairly extensive, especially for the folks working on the core (saas backend) portion of the product. The executive team is staffed with engineers that are very experienced in the domain, so there's no room for "hiding" late projects or poor products. There is a very experimental culture, so we are constantly trying lots of new things with how we do everything from releases to status reporting to seating arrangements. I like that sort of thing, but it's not for everyone.

More celebrations. More positive reinforcement. Create a stronger line of sight between the work that engineering is doing and how it affects the bottom line of the company.

54 Other Employee Reviews for New Relic (View Most Recent)

I've worked many places...New Relic is *by* *far* the best of them all...

Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Engineer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at New Relic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Fantastic people, very much a "family"
    - Serious commitment to work-life balance (from CEO on down)...*no* expectation to work over 40 hours a week
    - Smart leadership, tech-savvy VPs and CEO
    - Absolute concern about employees welfare
    - Fun and enjoyable projects...stimulating work technically
    - Startup atmosphere and benefits, but financial stability of an established company

Cons

- Poor health insurance options in Seattle (brand new office, needs more health options)
    - Seattle office is in an inconvenient location for bus/train lines and auto commuters (temporary -- looking for new office in better location)

You've got the formula for business success and for keeping your employees happy and motivated. Scaling culture as we grow will be the biggest challenge.

Sky's the limit, but know what you want

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Customers really love the product! Excellent engineering work environment, NR expects 40 hrs a week and that you will take the time to leave software better than you found it. Low meeting-to-work ratio, rapidly growing with lots of opportunities to grow, management that is focused on long-term cultivation.

Cons

Evolving office process and team structure due to ongoing growth can leave you feeling like things are constantly adjusting. If you're comfortable with that, great!

There are newer employer reviews for New Relic