There are newer employer reviews for New Relic

A highly unusual mix of excellence and work/life balance

Current Employee - Product Management in Portland, OR
Current Employee - Product Management in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Without turning this review in to a 10 page love-fest, here are a few reasons why I love New Relic:

- Exec staff: Senior management aren't just pointy-haired bosses. Our SVP of Product and CEO both still code. Our COO/President recently stood up in front of the entire management team and rattled off for almost 2 hours in detail the 2013 goals of Product, Engineering, Biz Dev, Sales, Marketing, and Operations. The attention to detail by our executives is outstanding and speaks to their passion for what we're doing.

- People: Because the exec staff is so solid, they've set the tone for great talent all the way down the line. New Relic takes great pride in making sure new hires not only have the right skills, but are a very strong fit culturally. The team is constantly experimenting with new ways to work and failures are celebrated as learning opportunities.

- Growth: Because New Relic has hired great people and is disrupting a large market, we are growing like crazy. It's always exciting and rewarding to be at a company that consistently breaks new records when it comes to # of leads or sales targets.

- Empowerment: Management encourages individual autonomy and encourages those who have ideas to speak up. While growth inevitably leads to some compartmentalization, New Relic has done a good job of making sure individuals don't feel isolated in their roles.

- Work/life balance: Despite the massive growth, the company stays true to its roots on creating a culture where family life is just as important as work life (if not more so). Execs regularly say things like "this is a marathon, not a sprint" and "we want you to leave enough in the gas tank to go home and enjoy family and friends". The people who work more than 40 hours a week do so because they love their job, rather than because management has created a work-you-to-death culture.

I could go on and on about how great a company New Relic is, but I'll just say that I've worked at big companies and small, as well as two of my own startups. New Relic is full of truly great people, from the executives all the way down to the individual contributors. Ultimately, these people are what make it such a great place to work.

Cons

Due to the rapid growth, the right hand sometimes doesn't know what the left hand is up to. Or in this case, the San Francisco office (sales + marketing) and the Portland office (product). Nothing terrible, but it is the price of growth + split offices.

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Honored to be chosen to join the team.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people: very smart but never arrogant; collaborative, open.
    Every department is highly competent and really knows how to do their job.
    Fun perks without being over the top.
    Good benefits except 401k.
    Stock options in near certain IPO event.
    If you are a developer, it's a very cool and satisfying problem set and you get to meet the cognoscenti of the software development industry.
    Awesome location in downtown Portland with transit connections to everywhere.
    On floor bike parking.

Cons

401k does not match and funds have high expenses.
    Customer growth is explosive the company is very picky about hiring so sometimes key positions go unfilled for longer than one would like with so much to do..

Advice to Management

A lot of the new people being hired wont see that same upside from options as those that founded the company or were in the first 50. It's good to remember that the excitement of an IPO will be less for the next 200 employees.

Starting the spiral of decay

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at New Relic full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technical people are nice. The product is clean and solves a real problem.

Cons

Dysfunctional useless HR dept. Rah Rah Marketing people. You would think with a product that actually does something they would focus on that instead of fluff. They are quickly losing the culture that attracted me in the first place. Occasionally you can see the dissatisfaction of older employees come out. It's changing quickly to a lets get this IPO overwith kinda place, so I can move on to something else. San Francisco office has some aggressive people in it.

Advice to Management

The HR dept needs the same shakedown that the SF QA dept had. We need a fresh start. The new office was comfortable until they started putting up bright globe lights all over the place. I'm not happy with it now. The environment is now hindering my work instead of facilitating it.