New Relic

There are newer employer reviews for New Relic

Sales Golden Age Is Gone

Former Employee - Sales - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Sales - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Great office space
- Great product
- Hire very nice sales people

Cons

- The 100% in-bound round robin sales system could not scale from 25 to 75 reps, and the overall morale of the sales team shot down.
- Very little transparency from sales management & execs down to team
- Most of the initial blood of the sales team around in 11' & 12' has flown the coop
- Compensation is not what it seams as only 33% of sales team hit quota in Q4'13
- Acting like a public company, though still a private company
- Internal promotions are all friends of the VP of Sales from college days

- Treat your employees as your greatest asset, rather than commodities.

56 Other Employee Reviews for New Relic (View Most Recent)

Great on paper......

Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing/Sales in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Relic full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The Engineering staff is very down to earth, friendly and open to new ideas. The Marketing team and CMO is full of energy.

Cons

I was at New Relic for several years, saw them grow from a smaller location on 2nd and Mission to the palatial estates they are in now. This was a great company that expanded way too fast and in the meantime completely lost it's soul. Most of the Sales staff feels on Edge and word from that department is there are many favorites that are promoted through the ranks quicker because they are well liked and play the political game.

This company is like that creepy kid at the lunch table who smiles at you while trying to take your lunch money. At one point from what I heard they re-imbursed sales and marketing folks for their cell phones and then the next it was gone. I had become close friends with the Sales team and was told they also would periodically change language for Sales staff in their compensation plans and say "just sign this - oh it's the same plan you've seen for consecutive quarters!". Meanwhile the entire language would be changed in favor of the company. But they would keep mentioning how great the company is, including the great Nerdvana cafe on the 10th floor. I think most people would prefer better wages than a cafe especially since two Starbucks locations were within a five minute walk.

Another con would be the HR department or what was referred to as "People Ops". I personally referred someone who came for an interview and then after 3 months and several emails, calls and even my internal follow up, never received feedback.

Listen to your employees not the bottom line

Phenomenal! Best job I've ever had, by far

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at New Relic full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company is chock full of smart, personable, and interesting people who are engaged with their work and the company. People have a life outside of work (the office is empty by 6, unless we're having a karaoke night in our cafe), and the company is really supportive of its employees - making changes to get better based on employee feedback, providing opportunities for us to work on projects we're interested (when possible) and to learn things to expand our skills and interests. Everyone is incredibly friendly and open. It's not uncommon for me to have a hallway conversation with the CEO, or eat lunch with the President, or a delightful conversation with people in the sales, marketing, biz dev orgs at our cafe. I've been blown away by the culture that has continued to flourish even through a big increase in employees this year. I think a lot of it has to do to how humble open management has been about not being perfect, backed by a willingness to experiment with change when things aren't working.

Cons

The pay is decent, but not amazing for San Francisco (no bonus structure, no 401k match), and when I was hired, they weren't willing to get very creative in negotiations for other things (like more PTO, etc) in exchange for a lower salary. I was told the culture makes it well worthwhile and that's largely true, assuming money isn't your top priority in a job.

Stay nimble, willing to experiment and hold on to the core values that help support such a fantastic culture!

There are newer employer reviews for New Relic