Hands-on

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in San Francisco, CA
Former Employee - Summer Fellow in San Francisco, CA

I worked at New Sector Alliance

Pros

Great place to network within the non-profit community; the other summer fellows are also really great. Job placements are overall satisfactory, although it does depend on which organization you're placed with (I had a really good experience with mine, but others weren't as fortunate).

Its the perfect opportunity if you want non-profit and/or consulting experience. Great way to get hands-on

Cons

The workshops could have used a bit of improving

Advice to Management

improve workshops/speakers

0 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
  1. Great non-profit consulting opportunity for undergraduates

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Fellow in Boston, MA

I worked at New Sector Alliance

Pros

Though a lot of the work you do is dependent on the organization you're placed with, the overall feeling is great. The class if full of young students from top colleges, and the mentoring/training you get is pretty good. Perfect fit for those exploring social impact/non-profit organizations.

Cons

Sometimes, there was a lack of unity among the class, since we're spread out across organizations. Also, the living stipend is a bit small for the Boston area.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work; networking/career development for undergraduates finishing the program would be greatly appreciated

2. "Great place to figure out how to take a hands-on approach to social enterprise - phenomenal people"

Former Employee - Summer Fellow in East Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Summer Fellow in East Boston, MA

I worked at New Sector Alliance

Pros

New Sector's Summer Fellows Program really taught me how to apply high-level strategic thinking to issues facing social enterprises. The mentorship program was phenomenal, my mentor was crucial to the success of my project. In addition, I made a close group of friends at New Sector that I still keep in touch with on a regular basis.

Overall, this is a great opportunity to build your business acumen, but also engage in meaningful work in which you have a lot of influence and belief in the mission.

Cons

They only have short-term programs, so you generally do not see a project all the way to fruition. IN addition, the communication and organization of staff in assigning projects was somewhat spotty (from what my friends informed me).

Advice to Management

Open up more to undergrads again - that was the best part of the 2008 program, and they are a great, enthusiastic pool of people.