New York City Department of Education

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education

Can be overwhelming

Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
Current Employee - Special Education Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are many job opportunities with the nycdoe

Cons

Job can be very time consuming

Union can be a little more organized

377 Other Employee Reviews for New York City Department of Education (View Most Recent)

Very satisfied artist!

Former Employee - Painter in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Painter in New York, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Thanks to the Department of Education, I was able to contribute my skills as an animator/painter to my public school, as well as get decently paid for it. Thanks for making my summer a fantastic one!

Cons

Minimum-wage pay, but it was still pay; way better than nothing!

44 weeks of misery for 8 weeks of vacation

Former Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at New York City Department of Education full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

You're considering this job because you like to help people learn. Just know that the public school system is so horribly broken that all the good intentions in your heart will never fix it. The goal of the public school system is to not help students at all and blame teachers even for circumstances beyond their control. There aren't many pros is what I'm saying.

Pros: Health care, visual and dental coverage. Summer vacation.

Cons

Steadily increasing employee contribution to health care, visual and dental coverage. Non existent work/life balance. Don't expect praise for hard work. Do expect to do lots of work outside of your job description. Rude and irresponsible kids/parents. Technology, art, music teachers are the first to go when money gets tight.

Children are human beings, not numbers. Stop running the public school system like a number farm where little numbers take lots of tests to produce more numbers so the institution can get more numbers. Teachers are human beings too. They're not all perfect but they're not all horrible child-destroying monsters either. Teachers work well over 40 hours a week, they dip into their vacations and weekends to get things done and often spend their own money on supplies.

There are newer employer reviews for New York City Department of Education