New York City Department of Education
schools.nyc.gov New York, NY 5000+ Employees

The hours, salary and a 10 month work year....."Awesome"

School Secretary/Payroll/Princ (Current Employee)
Brooklyn, NY

ProsAs a School Secretary, we get the same benefits as the teachers. Same union, same hours, and a 10 month work year with all holidays (breaks) as the students. Where else can you work 185 days and get paid for 12 months. Also, 2 months off for summer with pay......

ConsMust be able to interact with children and parents. Job duties are challenging at times, but definately makes the day go by. As a NYC employee, we have been working without a contract for over 4 years, no have we received any pay raises during this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward those who go above and beyond. The mayor of NYC and Chancellor Walcott need to negotiate and sign our contracts and give us a fair raise!.

One of toughest jobs in my life.

Science Teacher (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 5 years

Pros: The health benefits were very comprehensive, which may have changed since I retired in 2008. Teacher salary schedules always increase every year… Cons: The department offers minimal teaching support for first year teachers. I also needed more instruction on classroom management,… No, I would not recommend this company to a friend More

My job as a NYC Department of Education Paraprofessional

Paraprofessional (Current Employee)
    New York, NY

I have been working at New York City Department of Education full-time for more than 3 years

Pros: A rewarding humanitarian job. Good benefits. Variation in routine. Cons: Job security is fickle at times because of budget cuts.… Yes, I would recommend this company to a friend More
There are newer reviews on New York City Department of Education.

Worked for New York City Department of Education? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at New York City Department of Education reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for New York City Department of Education CEO Carmen Farina. All reviews posted anonymously by New York City Department of Education employees.